Best usb dac for laptop using powered speakers?
Sep 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Aaronmac

New Head-Fier
Ok so im pretty stressed out from looking at all the different options. Im hoping someone here has the knowledge i require

I have purchased the Microlabs Solo7c powered speakers.

My plan is to have one input connected to the tv via this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Coaxial-Optical-Audio-Converter/dp/B0053VKP8S

Optical to the box, then RCA to the speakers. The unit is powered via usb connection.
I think im happy with that side of things. I think it will be better than using the tv's headphone out. Which gives me two volume controls i dont know what to do with. And as my one box home cinema receiver that i ran everything through has died, its the best i have at the moment.

What i originally bought the speakers for was to listen to music on my laptop. These speakers sound pretty decent but i have read using a decent sound card can give u a bit more.
I have had a look into it and the usb dac's ive found seem to be aimed at using headphones with them like the FiiO E7. Some Had internal amps which i think may mess with my already amped speakers?

These are analog speakers with just rca connections on the back. So i can take a straight phono or 3.5 - phono to them.

I just want to get the best quality signal to my speakers. Im not interested in EQ's or 3D surround features either. Just something pure :)

I will greatly appreciate any feedback. Im also crap at typing things up so im sorry if any of that sounds confusing

Thank you

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 11
Ok so im pretty stressed out from looking at all the different options. Im hoping someone here has the knowledge i require

I have purchased the Microlabs Solo7c powered speakers.

My plan is to have one input connected to the tv via this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Coaxial-Optical-Audio-Converter/dp/B0053VKP8S

Optical to the box, then RCA to the speakers. The unit is powered via usb connection.
I think im happy with that side of things. I think it will be better than using the tv's headphone out. Which gives me two volume controls i dont know what to do with. And as my one box home cinema receiver that i ran everything through has died, its the best i have at the moment.

What i originally bought the speakers for was to listen to music on my laptop. These speakers sound pretty decent but i have read using a decent sound card can give u a bit more.
I have had a look into it and the usb dac's ive found seem to be aimed at using headphones with them like the FiiO E7. Some Had internal amps which i think may mess with my already amped speakers?

These are analog speakers with just rca connections on the back. So i can take a straight phono or 3.5 - phono to them.

I just want to get the best quality signal to my speakers. Im not interested in EQ's or 3D surround features either. Just something pure
smily_headphones1.gif

I will greatly appreciate any feedback. Im also crap at typing things up so im sorry if any of that sounds confusing

Thank you

Budget.?

What kind of TV do you have? i use the 3.5 output on mine and it sounds good, using dac's around the 200 or 300 price point only improved the highs and lows for me... I only stream video maybe that's why it doesn't sound bad...  

one dac that really improved the audio for me on the tv was the Arcam rLink and it sounds good on music too...

Is the dac for the tv or computer.? 

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 11
The 3.5 output on the tv may be good but i just had it in my head that it would be better to use the optical out and convert in to phono into the speakers. i dont know whether thats true or not.

But im not to fussed about that side of things. The main one is what i should use that is going to give me better sound than the laptops on board sound card. 

cheers

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 11

Even tho they aren't asynchronous Dac's Between those two i'll go with the UA-1EX. 

why don't you go for something much newer.? 

it seems that your budget is under the 200/150 price point...

check this out.... i havent try the "hifi me diy" gear but the schiit gear is good...

http://www.hifimediy.com/

http://schiit.com/products/modi   

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks. I will buy the sabre :)

All i need to do now is upgrade my cables and get some pads to isolate the speakers from the floor and all is well.

Appreciate your help. Once i have the sabre ill drop a post to let you know how good it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back