Best USB DAC for Android around the £100 mark?
Jun 7, 2015 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MBRuss

New Head-Fier
Hi folks, as per the title I'm looking for a USB DAC to use with my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 4).

I've just bought some JVC HA-SZ2000 cans and wanted to give them more power and a cleaner signal, plus the option for a bass boost.

So far I've looked at the Fiio E18 and the Onkyo DAC HA200B/Teac HA-P50.

Are there any other/better options around this price point? Admittedly both of these exceed my budget a bit.

Many thanks
Russ

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 6
have you though of pairing your phone with Hifimediy Sabre Android DAC + cheaper headphone amp? definitely would be well within your budget. 
PS: i am waiting for my Hifimediy Sabre Android DAC to arrive. also please check the compatibility list for your phone!

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 6
No, I hadn't considered this - I've not actually heard of that product at all.   That's kinda why I created this thread - I'm not really aware of what's out there, so thanks for the suggestion.

What is the advantage of going for the Hifimediy Sabre Android DAC and a separate amp?   Surely that would make things much less portable?   I'm looking for something that I can carry on my person quite easily.  The DAC/AMP combos that I mentioned all come with rubber bands to strap them to my phone, which helps in regards to portability.  (I probably should have mentioned that in my first post!)

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 6
  No, I hadn't considered this - I've not actually heard of that product at all.   That's kinda why I created this thread - I'm not really aware of what's out there, so thanks for the suggestion.

What is the advantage of going for the Hifimediy Sabre Android DAC and a separate amp?   Surely that would make things much less portable?   I'm looking for something that I can carry on my person quite easily.  The DAC/AMP combos that I mentioned all come with rubber bands to strap them to my phone, which helps in regards to portability.  (I probably should have mentioned that in my first post!)

you can readup on the DAC. there are several reviews out there [even on headfi]. 
the DAC itself has a very minimal footprint.. may not be bigger than an OTG cable plus you can pair it with an amp like Topping NX1 Portable Earphone Amplifier Black if required.
i have not personally auditioned this combo, but this is the path i am looking forward to [amp will be bought only if the DAC is unable to drive my earphones - TripleFi10s - which are fairly sensitive at 30ohms]

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #6 of 6
  Is there any sound benefit to doing this VS an all-in-one DAC/AMP?

a lot depends which DAC-AMP are you comparing this combo with. my suggestion was keeping in mind your budget constraints. rest you would have to decide based on auditions. i am not sure of what other DAC-AMP you can get in your budget. 

personally my aim is to bypass my phone's DAC and see the response. if required, i'll go for the amp.

linky about the DAC: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646969/hifimediy-sabre-usb-dac-with-android

Users who are viewing this thread

Back