Best USB DAC/AMP with apt-X transmission?
Feb 7, 2017 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ichinichi

1000+ Head-Fier
Haven't been here since 2008(!). You people got me started on a set of Sennheiser HD580s, ended up going to 600s, then 650s, then cables, then WooAudio amp, then SinglePower PPX3 SLAM, tube rolling, omg etc etc...

9 years later, situation has changed somewhat, but Sennheiser has become like a first-love and so here I am.

Last week, after much deliberation, I've bought a set of Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless for work to be fed over BT.

Currently, the M2 are running on the onboard bluetooth I have on this Dell XPS 8500 (or something) using the native Windows 10 drivers.

I have no clue whether my signal is being fed through apt-X.

I'm looking for Head-Fi help on which USB DAC/amp to consider. I'm just imagining here, but the proper solution would be digital signal from PC via USB to DAC/amp, which then transmits via apt-X to the M2.

School me (once more), head-fi! Let me know if this isn't the correct subforum; I just figured that my question is headphone driven, so full-size is the correct place to start.

Thank you!

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 2
Surprised that no one has spoken up.

I did continue to dig further.

Here are my conclusions in case this is helpful for anyone else in the future:

1. You cannot send analog signal over bluetooth, which means that any signal received is digital
2. This means that there's necessarily a DAC on-board the M2
3. My ideal signal path is then, digital source>digital transmission via aptx>digital receipt via on-board aptx chip CSR8675>m2 dac>ears
4. CSR8675 on the M2 supports 24-bit audio and AptX
5. The Sound Blaster BT-W2 transmits 24-bit audio via AptX

So the simplest solution for 24-bit audio via AptX is

PC > BT-W2 > Sennheiser Momentum M2 

fin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back