Best USB DAC/AMP for HD800 ~$500
Nov 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

The-One

500+ Head-Fier
As the title, I'm looking to buy a new headphone amplifier for my Sennheiser HD800. I bought them a while ago on a whim after being awarded a minor cash bursary. I currently have an old "Beresford TC-7520 USB" dac, but as far as the HD800 go, I've always felt it was like having bought the best engines possible for a car and forgetting to upgrade the tires.

So I'm looking to replace my current desktop USB DAC with a different USB DAC. I'm looking at a price point of $500 or £325. Looking for something that is both warm and detailed with low bass extension but obviously without ruining the spatial qualities that the HD800 is best for.

Any suggestions to point me in the right direction?

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 8
ok thanks for the suggestion. I see now that a lot of Chinese amps/dac have become very popular.

which one out of the audio-gd product line up would you recommend i get?

In the meanwhile, I've took a punt on an Aune T1 tube amp just to introduce myself to the "tube sound". 

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 8
  ok thanks for the suggestion. I see now that a lot of Chinese amps/dac have become very popular.

In the meanwhile, I've took a punt on an Aune T1 tube amp just to introduce myself to the "tube sound". 

Try the NFB 11.32

They all have different sound characteristics though. Sometimes i get confused with their lineup lol

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 8

Pick one that fits into your budget and has the features you want. 

The Aune T1 is... well... let's just say, if you want the "tube sound", you can always just construct a giant glass dome like the one in Get Smart and do all your listening in there.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 8
Pick one that fits into your budget and has the features you want. 

The Aune T1 is... well... let's just say, if you want the "tube sound", you can always just construct a giant glass dome like the one in Get Smart and do all your listening in there.

Sorry, didn't understand what you meant by that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back