Best USB DAC/amp combo for 500$ or less, for HD800?
May 22, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 19
I think people just like to casually say Schiit 
biggrin.gif

I'm not an HD800 owner so I don't have any experience with O2/HD800 synergy. Have you tried looking or asking for amp recommendations in the HD800 thread?

Edit: there, fixed it.

May 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 19
  I think people just like to casually say Schiit 
biggrin.gif

I'm not an HD800 owner so I don't have any experience with O2/HD800 synergy. Have you tried looking or asking for amp recommendations in the HD800 thread?

Of course they do. But I am many others are happy owners of Schiit gear. And while I don't own HD800s there are many happy campers who are powering them with the right Schiit, particularly the Lyr amp. I am a recent purchaser of the Lyr-Bifrost combo and am thoroughly enjoying it with the headphones I own.

May 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 19
  Of course they do. But I am many others are happy owners of Schiit gear. And while I don't own HD800s there are many happy campers who are powering them with the right Schiit, particularly the Lyr amp. I am a recent purchaser of the Lyr-Bifrost combo and am thoroughly enjoying it with the headphones I own.

Sure, I'm not ragging on their amps. Just a joke. I might be picking up some of their gear soon.

May 23, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 19
Hello everybody

My question is similar,but for gaming and movies purpose with inear Rhapsodio r^2 that is slightly better sounding than weston 4.

Thank you for your helps and answers :)

May 23, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 19
You might want to take a look at the ALO Pan-AM. Nice tube amp-dac combo unit with lots of power. I was actually looking at some Audeze Headphones and noticed it is the only amp they sell on their website, must be pretty good I would think.

May 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #11 of 19
You might want to take a look at the ALO Pan-AM. Nice tube amp-dac combo unit with lots of power. I was actually looking at some Audeze Headphones and noticed it is the only amp they sell on their website, must be pretty good I would think.

If you are going that route, this might interest you.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/alo-audio-the-pan-am

May 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 19
Okay, so before you get poisoned, remember, the o2+odac is the peak of quality, anything more expensive is purely build quality, brand, and maybe looks. People will argue, but nothing uses better internals, just side-grades. With that in mind, what is your actual price range, and what features are you looking for? Fiio has been pretty innovative and affordable with their fiio e07k, e17, and e18 models.

Different amps have different properties, so it's "possible" to justify better amps. But I'm not sure if you're looking for 2-in-1s or two seperate units

May 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #13 of 19
Okay, so before you get poisoned, remember, the o2+odac is the peak of quality, anything more expensive is purely build quality, brand, and maybe looks. People will argue, but nothing uses better internals, just side-grades. 

That is a nice opinion, and very far from fact.  I am not going to sit here and debate it, making wild statements without ANY evidence is hardly useful.  Perhaps if you added "in the sub $500 range" I would not respond in such a way but your claim is not correct,

May 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 19
Okay, so before you get poisoned, remember, the o2+odac is the peak of quality, anything more expensive is purely build quality, brand, and maybe looks. People will argue, but nothing uses better internals, just side-grades. With that in mind, what is your actual price range, and what features are you looking for? Fiio has been pretty innovative and affordable with their fiio e07k, e17, and e18 models.

Different amps have different properties, so it's "possible" to justify better amps. But I'm not sure if you're looking for 2-in-1s or two seperate units

I wouldn't necessarily call it "peak" of sound quality, but it's quite close! Maybe 95% for the odac, 90% for the o2. Just my opinion though.

I personally use mjol/gung for my hd800, Lcd 2, and he500. I also have a xonar stx, magni/modi, hifi m8, little dot mk4, mstage, dacmagic plus and alo pan-am. I just switch around them depending on my mood. I listen for musicial pleasure mostly, I only do critical listening when comparing and testing phones / dac / amps that I just borrowed for demo.

I recommend the matrix mstage hpa 2 with usb for the OP, because yes the o2 / odac will sound bright with the hd800 and the op might be sensitive to it.

May 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 19
I agree. O2/ODAC is very good. Schiit Modi/Magni is comparable in class. Matrix M-Stage as well. Audio-GD makes excellent units. The Emotiva XDA-2 is another to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back