Best US$40 or under headphones
Aug 21, 2005 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

killer_deep

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and I must say that its a great resource. However, there seems to be a lack of information on lower-end headphones (no real surprise
rolleyes.gif
). But still, I'm looking to purchase headphones that I can use at home and at the office (I'm a graduate student) that has good quality, but can also be relatively portable and isolates sound well enough. So far, I'm trying to decide between:

Sennheiser HD201's (based on this review)
Sennheiser PX100 (I'd get these in a second if I knew the noise isolation wasn't intolerable to others in close proximity)
Sony MDR-XD200

Thats about it. I'd consider raising my limit if shipping to Canada from online dealers didn't cost $30USD in and of itself!! If any of you can suggest Canadian retailers, or better sources without such expensive shipping, I'd love to entertain higher-end suggestions. Still, I'm looking mainly at those three 'phones, and anything in and around US$40.

Thanks alot!
Sandeep

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 15
Having heard all three (yay, I feel so special), I'd rule the XD200 out. The HD201 sounds better (IMHO), is more comfortable, isolates better, and is more portable.

So it's between the HD201 and PX100. The PX100 does sound better, and it's more portable, but the HD201 is cheaper and isolates better. What sources will you be using it with, and how close are you to cow orkers at the office?

Also, the HD201 and PX100 should be available locally-- they're relatively low-end Sennheisers, and as such can be found at most electronics chain stores (albeit at inflated prices, no idea if shipping from places like HeadRoom makes up the difference).

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks so much for your reply. I knew it'd come down to a contest between the PX100's and the HD201's.

I love the portability of the PX100 and the comfort factor will be important as I'll be using them a significant amount. But the sound leakage is the issue... would it be annoying to someone 5 feet away? 10 feet away?

I don't listen to music very loud at all... and I listen to alternative/rock/metal/acoustic, if that influences things at all.

Thanks a ton,
Sandeep

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 15
why don't consider PX 200 ?

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by killer_deep
So far, I'm trying to decide between:

Sennheiser HD201's (based on this review)
Sennheiser PX100 (I'd get these in a second if I knew the noise isolation wasn't intolerable to others in close proximity)
Sony MDR-XD200

Keep in mind that the PX100 is not a sealed headphone, although sound leakage isn't that significant. It will not be annoying to someone 5 feet away given the way you listen to music. The PX200 is the sealed version, although I don't like the sound quality as much due to the trickiness of getting a good seal with the small earpads.

Another headphone that's in your price range is the AKG K26P. It sounds surprisingly good for its price range, and is a sealed headphone.

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 15
I was thinking about that particular AKG model, but its very hard to find. Both the PX100 and HD201's are readily available. The PX200's have recieved too many iffy reviews for me to consider them. Both the PX100's and the HD201's are almost unanimously lauded, thus my choice.

So basically, leakage will not be a problem? It seems that the PX100's would be the better bet as I can use them when I'm out walking or transporting as well as at home and at school as my main pair. How long is the cord for the PX100s?

Thanks,
Sandeep

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 15
The HD201 has a 10 ft long cord, which more or less kills its portability. I don't really care much for the hollow sound either.

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 15
I haven't heard the others, but PortaPro is decent.
The audio technicas if you can get any imports under 40, most of those sound good.
An occasional deal with AT M40s sometimes arises, but the retail is 80.
Those are neutral enough for monitoring with decent fit and sound.
I got my V6 for 41 dollars and find this great for the price no doubt.
The imported Technicas ear buds or foldables i havent tried but theres a lot of raving about it.

Aug 21, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrXpress
The HD201 has a 10 ft long cord, which more or less kills its portability. I don't really care much for the hollow sound either.

What is wrong with tying up the extra slack with a twist-tie or velcro strap?

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 15
I dont know if you've ever bought a sony cd player/walkman, but the 100s leak about as much as those. They will leak alittle, but unless you turn it up 3/4 the way or higher, they shouldnt bother anyone.
Dont buy the px-200s though. They dont let out any noise, but they dont sound nearly as good,(and I get a good seal). Go for the 100s,(Ive never heard the 201s though.)

Aug 21, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 15
In reading others posts about the PX100, it seems that the leakage is a problem more often than not. And the fact that I'd have to turn up the volume due to their openness is a problem.

I'm currently using Sony MDR-G52 street style headphones and I think they sound great (see how much of an improvement the SD201s or PX100s would be)... so if there are minor imperfections with the SD201s, I'm sure I won't even know that.

So, I'm going with the SD201s over the PX100s due to sound leakage... any reasons I should reconsider?

Thanks
eggosmile.gif

Sandeep

Aug 21, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 15
Has anyone considered the Koss PortaPros?

Aug 21, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 15
I've thought about the Koss PortPros, but if I was to go for something like that, I'd grab the PX100's. Does anyone know where I could find AKG K26P's in Canada? So far the cheapest price I've found is $66 Canadian dollars including shipping.

Sandeep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back