Best upgrade path from AD700 + CMoy?
Nov 30, 2008 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dRummie

Head-Fier
Hi guys.

A while ago I asked for advice about headphones for Classical and Electronic. I decided to go with the ATH-AD700, they'll be here in a couple weeks.

I'll be running
Sansa Clip/5G iPod + LOD -> Cmoy -> AD700

What would be the best upgrade to make next? My budget is around CAD300, and I'm very open to DIY options (albeit ones suitable for beginners, that CMoy will be my first). My initial feeling is a decent amp - Pimeta or something better?

(Btw, I know it's early to think of upgrades before even hearing the rig, but Christmas will be here by the time my phones arrive.)

Thanks in advance!

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 7
Don't trap yourself in just one sound signature. I would recommend you to buy used headphones from other brand in the FS/FT forum and find out which sound sig you like best or better.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 7
You sure you don't want to enjoy the headphones you just bought at least for a while and make an upgrade straight away?
beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 7
My advise is to stay off Head-fi after you got your new headphone. Otherwise, the upgrade bug will hit you sooner or later. I simply cannot resist the itch for upgrading or trying out other sound signature.

In less than a year, I've gone from nothing to
HD280->RE2->RE1->D2000->Stax->Ath-W1000->Ath-W5000
Oh, the temptation! =(

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 7
x2 on what moonboy403 says, although for me I haven't really been caught with the ugrade bug after buying my um1s.

Ok fine, I'm gonna be buying the AD700s as well but that and the um1s are like completely different animals, its like apples to oranges. Right? Right?
atsmile.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dRummie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys.

A while ago I asked for advice about headphones for Classical and Electronic. I decided to go with the ATH-AD700, they'll be here in a couple weeks.

I'll be running
Sansa Clip/5G iPod + LOD -> Cmoy -> AD700

What would be the best upgrade to make next? My budget is around CAD300, and I'm very open to DIY options (albeit ones suitable for beginners, that CMoy will be my first). My initial feeling is a decent amp - Pimeta or something better?

(Btw, I know it's early to think of upgrades before even hearing the rig, but Christmas will be here by the time my phones arrive.)

Thanks in advance!

CAD300 is about $242 USD. What are you wanting to upgrade, your source, amp, headphones? Don't pay any attention to those telling you to run away from Head-Fi. They're serious in one way (money), but they're also reaping the benefits from their upgrades. Upgrading can be very rewarding, and you're better off upgrading with the help that's available here. $242 is not a lot of money to significantly upgrade from your current rig. If you sold your current rig or at least the amp and headphones and added that money to the $242, then you might have enough for a worthy upgrade. I suggest posting and reading in the DIY forum since you seem to be interested in that. I question how well the AD700 would respond to better amping. In other words, I'm not so sure it scales well. So, I suggest holding off on selecting a better amp for it. If you're going to build a better amp, and you're considering a headphone upgrade, you will be better off selecting an amp that will work well with your new headphones, which you have yet to select. I suggest you enjoy your new rig, research, and be patient.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 7
All right, thanks for the advice, everyone. I would prefer to hear the rig before upgrading, except this isn't my money but what my relatives will be spending on my presents this holiday season, which obviously comes with a time constraint.

I think I'll take the advice and look into a second pair of phones (don't want to sell off the AD700 right after I get them, after all). Thanks!

Edit. So in that light, any suggestions? I've been eyeing the SR225s, and read that grados in general complement the ATH sound sig well. I do listen to quite a bit of rock, and isolation isn't a concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back