Best Upgrade for JH-13's
Jan 6, 2010 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AVDweeb

Head-Fier
Hey All.

I purchased a pair of JH-13's, and I'm looking for the best upgrade at the current moment. I've done a lot of research on the JH-13 Appreciation thread, but there wasn't a posting about the single best upgrade.

I previously purchased a Mini^3 Amplifier and Gamma DAC combo, but the Mini^3 needs work due to issues outputting in stereo, and I get a lot of hiss from my MacBook Pro -> Gamma DAC. My main source is an iPhone 3G, and I also have an iPod 5.5 Gen that I may consider converting to a DIYMod if that's the suggested course of action.

At this point, I'd like to spend around $300 in this stage, $400 including interconnects. I'm debating between the following:

+ ALO Rx Amplifier
+ TWAg Headphone Cable
+ Some other DAC / Amp combo. (Styleaudio Emerald DAC/Amp, but it's 1/4")

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Get the iMod and Rockbox it, it is the best upgrade for me but you will need to fix your Mini3 to take advantage of it. The headphone out from iPod 5.5 has slight hiss during low volume passage. I would wait for the PICO slim if you are going the amp route. The TWag recable is an improvement but not as much as source or amp upgrade.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 9
I would not wait for the pico slim and buy it blind to widespread reviews there is no reason for it since it is not on a different playing field then multiple amps that are currently available

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 9
Check out the TTVJ portable?

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 9
Also, from all the reading I've done, it seems that the ALO Rx is made more for articulation. Some of the other amps are a bit warmer, something I'd enjoy. But, if I was looking at a $70 difference to go for another piece, would you say the price difference is worth heading to TTVJ or Pico Slim? I'm already stretching my budget waaay out of proportion.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not wait for the pico slim and buy it blind to widespread reviews there is no reason for it since it is not on a different playing field then multiple amps that are currently available

Huh?

I may be one of only a couple people who has had the chance to spend a couple hours with the pico slim on two different occasions with jh13s. What widespread reviews are out there? I was able to compare it with both the ALO RX and TTVJ portable, amps I quite liked, but with different strengths. The slim is the amp I chose after all that, and not for the size, which I wish were larger. I don't want to rely on memory to post impressions, but am hoping to have one shortly to test, and will say more then.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Would you consider source.
I have the Imod 4G and KORG MR-1

I found this provide more better sound than Imod.
(More detail,More overtone,and more air for bass)

PS:
I still wait for the performance for the crystal cable.
And I have try platinum coating and some thick cable.
But It all hard to bring out.
So MR-1 is my best choice now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back