best upgrade for $1000 or less?
Dec 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gamerfry

Head-Fier
I currently have fischer audio fa-011s and I do really enjoy them, but I feel like I've outgrown them a bit. They tend to be weak in the mids, can lack some impact and detail, and don't have the most accurate sound stage. I'm looking to upgrade to something more expensive that hopefully will meet my growing demands. I need cans that can keep up with both my gaming and my music. Gaming requires that they have a decent sound stage (it doesn't have to be the most massive ever, just large enough that I have some sort of direction), and strong bass. For my music I want something with fuller mids and more detailing than the fischer's and some impact. I listen to all sorts of music (rock, metal, edm, opera, acoustic etc.) so unfortunately I can't tailor it to a specific genre. Additionally, I don't have a lot of money to spend on an expensive amp/DAC so I'd like to stay away from headphones that are EXTREMELY picky.(most likely they will be hooked up to my creative sound blaster ZXR sound card). I've been looking at the Beyer T1, Sennheiser HD700 and HD 800, and Audeze LCD-2 r2, since they seemed to fit my requirements more or less however I haven't listened to any of them so I'm really just going by what I read on forums. Do any of these seem like the best deal/best fit for my requirements? Are there any other cans you'd recommend? 

Thanks a bunch!

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Each one of those cans needs to be amped and often in different ways (dynamic vs. ortho cans).  You will have to provide specific information about the amping section (if any) of your sound card, which I understand is primarily marketed to gamers.  No amping = no cans from your list.

BTW: even on sale the HD 800 is way north of $1,000.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 7
If you aren't going to invest in the rest of the chain, a used Fostex TH900 will be your best bet.  Those sound decent out of an iPod and have the most lax amping requirements out of the flagships.  They will also scale impressively after you have some money to upgrade your chain.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 7
  Each one of those cans needs to be amped and often in different ways (dynamic vs. ortho cans).  You will have to provide specific information about the amping section (if any) of your sound card, which I understand is primarily marketed to gamers.  No amping = no cans from your list.

Here is the spec site for the card: http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sound-blaster-zxr.aspx#specs . It specifically says it is a 600ohm 80mW  TI TPA6120 Amp.

Originally Posted by KG Jag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW: even on sale the HD 800 is way north of $1,000.

I would buy them used. I've seen them on here/ebay/amazon etc. hopping between $800 and $1100, which is fine for me.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Voted for LCD-2 because they were my first major upgrade of that order just over 18 months ago and I still have them and I still love them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back