Best up to date Cmoy design?
Feb 26, 2020 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
I’m trying to build a Cmoy amp for my first build. I’m going to use a breadboard until I get it working before I do anything else. What’s a good tutorial for this? I’ve been using the original tangentsoft page for now.

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 4
Wow It sounds good.
D01183A7-F0DE-437D-90F2-55794345F85F.jpeg

Feb 28, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 4
I’m trying to build a Cmoy amp for my first build. I’m going to use a breadboard until I get it working before I do anything else. What’s a good tutorial for this? I’ve been using the original tangentsoft page for now.
https://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/

You won't find a better tutorial for the CMoy than that one.

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 4
The thing to do with the CMoy (once you build one) is to upgrade the circuit to an A47. Designed by Apheared, a user long gone (but one of the originals), he was also the first one, I believe, to use a mint tin for the CMoy.

This is the classic, improved version of the A47: http://benfeist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/a47_assembly_and_schematic.pdf
However, Feist separated the opamps by channels, which is sort of counter-intuitive. One opamp operates as a signal gain circuit, the other as a buffer. It's best to use one opamp as the gain circuit, then the second opamp as the buffer, with both channels in each opamp. Electrically, it doesn't make a difference, but in the real world, there are imperfections in the opamps that can vary from one opamp to the other. You also can't mix opamps if you wire it up as Feist as shown. If you use one as the signal stage and the other as the buffer, then you can swap out different opamps and not have to worry about keeping them the same (within reason, of course).

There is an alternative layout as I suggested somewhere here on Head-Fi, but I can't find it at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back