Best universal remote for $250 (or so).
Dec 6, 2008 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Several months ago, I came here and asked about universal remotes under $150, ended up with the Logitech Harmony One. Not blaming anyone, a likely suggestion at that range.
biggrin.gif

It looked good on paper, looked nice in person, but sucked ass in performance in so many ways, it would take an hour to write them all up.
frown.gif

OK, let's say this time I have $250 or so to spend. What can I get that won't make me want to smash it against the wall after 30 minutes?

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 13
I've owned a Sony RM-VL900 for years now. For starters, it's built like a tank and very simple to use. It can learn IR commands from other remotes, it switches my receiver automatically between sources when you switch to another template. It is also able to transfer all the programming to another Sony remote, whether the same or different. Very intelligent for what cost $50 when I bought it (it's around $30 now).

The obvious upgrade from this one is the RM-VL1000 which also has a LCD display and what appears to be more options. This one costs around $30 as well.

You can also go to remotecentral.com RC User Reviews: Sony RM-VL1000 Remote Control (1) and do some research.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 13
I haven't tried the Harmony One, but I do have an Harmony 880... I really like it, but couldn't say if it performs similarly to the Harmony One.

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 13
I have the harmony 880 also, needs a new charging cradle though
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 13
I really enjoyed the Harmony 550. It fit in my price range, was really easy to program, worked well, and was simple to use. I liked that it had disposable batteries because built in rechargeables make me a little nervous. It definitely wasn't as flashy as the higher models but I think it's a great compromise between price and functionality.

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 13
I have a Harmony 880 and I love it, I am trying to get a 890 now so I can take advantage of the RF features and hide a few of my components in my HT set-up.

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 13
have 880 bedroom unit and 890 for the rf in my home theater. they work well and fit your budget

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 13
The Harmony 550 is the greatest remote ever made. That is fact. Never bothered with the Harmony One, because why would I?

Not to make you write up your complaints with "the one", but what is it you want your remote to do? You know the deal, the more we know the better we can help.

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 13
The problem with getting a better remote than Harmony is cost and
programing but the MX-3000 is a bad boy its just this side of a Crestron
it doesn't come cheap and its not consumer programable. REMOTE
CENTRAL is a good place to visit for the ins and outs of remote controls.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Several months ago, I came here and asked about universal remotes under $150, ended up with the Logitech Harmony One. Not blaming anyone, a likely suggestion at that range.
biggrin.gif

It looked good on paper, looked nice in person, but sucked ass in performance in so many ways, it would take an hour to write them all up.
frown.gif

OK, let's say this time I have $250 or so to spend. What can I get that won't make me want to smash it against the wall after 30 minutes?

Friendly suggestion: This thread would be much more helpful to those unimote novices like myself if markl would give readers some idea of what he is looking for that the One doesn't offer. Keep it short but give us some sense of the shortcomings. He might also get more informative responses that way.TIA

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 13
I have a Harmony 670. (The next higher model from the entry-level 550.)

Though the Harmony remotes are great for controlling many devices at once, I found their response to multiple button presses to be much slower than traditional device-specific remotes and cheaper universal remotes.

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Harmony 670. (The next higher model from the entry-level 550.)

Though the Harmony remotes are great for controlling many devices at once, I found their response to multiple button presses to be much slower than traditional device-specific remotes and cheaper universal remotes.

Agree. But I don't find that disturbing.

I would recommend Logitech Harmony for your new remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back