Best Universal Player for $1,000 - $2,000 (used)?
Jan 23, 2005 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Soundbuff

100+ Head-Fier
I've been thinking about possible system upgrades for later in 2005. Most likely I won't be buying anything for six months (aside from swapping cables and interconnects) but I may buy a universal player sometime toward the end of the year if I can find a good deal on one.

The reason I want to buy a universal player instead of just a good CD player is because I also have a television in the immediate vicinity of my stereo and there is limited shelf space, so the player will need to accomodate the occasional DVD video too (though video quality is not a priority).

I also like the idea of getting a universal player so that if I ever come across some nice classical SACDs or DVD-A's it will be possible to experience these new formats. I don't have any expectations of building a library around these alternative formats, however. It would just be nice to have the capability to experience them if I ever come across any.

Currently I use a Denon mini-system as the optical transport for my Bel Canto DAC 2, and I also have a Sony DVD/VHS player. These are both poor quality transports, so it probably makes sense to upgrade my source/transport before making any other changes to my setup.

So what are the top contenders for best universal player in the $1,000 - $2,000 range (used prices - I can wait for the right deal). I have visited the SACDmods.com site and the site suggests the modded Denon DVD-2900 is one of the best choices for a universal player. The used price for this player is about $600, the mods are about $800 so the total price would be around $1,400. I have also seen ads for the Denon DVD-2900 modded by Exemplar Audio on Audiogon, and the used price is $2,500 which is pushing it for me, unless the mods make it a truly incredible player.

Whatever I get, it has to sound better than the Bel Canto DAC 2 to be worth upgrading my equipment (I am assuming the Bel Canto DAC 2 will be sold after buying the universal player, which will help reduce the financial burden). I wouldn't mind a slightly more dynamic sound than the Bel Canto, as long as it is still rich, detailed, musical and involving. I value musicality more than the absolute truth
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 2
Check out Arcam for high quality audio/DVD playback and great build quality. I have the DV79 and love it ($1700). It does lack SACD, however. My belief is that hi-res audio is essentially dead: even at this stage there are less than 25 hi-res recordings I would buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back