Best Universal Fit
Jan 21, 2010 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

knights

500+ Head-Fier
Like most of avid head-fiers, im about to jump into customs... Yes, im really considering JH13 which i think is the best among all customs atm.... infact i already have my ear impressions... my 1 problem is if ever i will not like it considering its price, i cant resale it here... Thats the reason why im still considering universal fit IEM... From what ive read here, UM3X and IE7 are in my list...

my current most used rig is IPODclassic 120 + line out dock + ibasso CB01 interconnect + ibasso t3(on the move) or d10(stationary)... IEMs i currently have are se420, ex700, se210, she9800.. though i already auditioned ie8, se530, and tf10... music genres i usually listened are Jazz and Acoustic piece... i also like the music of eric clapton, CSNY, eagles, Celine Dion, Jason Mraz, and few Alternatives; The Calling, Lifehouse, and Nickleback...

based on my rig, preferred music, + your experience, help me decide.. ie7, UM3x or something else?... no ie8 since i dont really like its bass same as the se530's so so treble.

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 12
yeh there is a suggest time limit for your impressions, its generally suggested you send them quickly.

You can resell the Jh's here, im sure someone will buy it and get it remolded! but back to the point. um3X + shure tips is killer.

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 12
If you're worried about the IE7's comfort there was a great mod posted for the IE8 which I'm sure would work for the IE7 as they are about the same size. This wasn't my idea and was originally posted by DavidMahler but I've done it and it works great.

Just strip out the plastic core of whatever Shure olive that fits (he suggested using a 1/8 headphone jack to remove the core) than just fit the de-cored shures to the IE7. Better isolation and the comfort of the olive. Just a suggestion as I've heard others complain about the comfort of the IE series.

But yeah, re-molding is pretty cheap so I'm sure someone would buy used customs. Might even be me.
smily_headphones1.gif
I wouldn't worry about that.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 12
You said you auditioned the TF10s. And...?

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for rthe reply guys...

ER4s- from what ive read, its very analytical and fatiguing for long time listening...

TF10- prblems with fitting... i have a relatively small ears....

If you'll rate JH13 10/10... how would you rate um3x or the ie7?

damn you guys, you're really tempting for JH....

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. no ie8 since i dont really like its bass same as the se530's so so treble.

Is this supposed to be 'terrible' ? You don't like the bass on the se530's?

I think the SE530 is probably the greatest fitting universal IEM I've ever used.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 12
Have you tried a number of different tips (Sony hybrids, Shure olives, Comply foams, Klipsch gel buds, etc)? As long as the housing isn't too large, the right tips should give a good fit.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for rthe reply guys...

ER4s- from what ive read, its very analytical and fatiguing for long time listening...

They take getting used to because of the fit, but if you're already familiar with the feel of an IEM this won't be a problem. I wasn't and I didn't like them for some days until my ears got used to the sensation of the plugs (and the plugs adjusted to the shape of my ear somewhat).

I do not find them fatiguing for long term listening. But I don't listen for any longer than a few hours so I'm not sure how long "long term" might be in your case. That said I cannot remember reading comments from others which mention this fatiguing sound either.

I pronounced them hateful and awful after I first got them, but now I would not be parted from them save by unhappy chance. There is a reason for their long production span, popularity and success.

All of this said, while they are in my opinion the best universal fit IEMs I have heard (excepting the universal fit JH13 which is not a consumer product and only for demonstration) my experience with IEMs is much more limited than with larger headphones and I am ill equipped to offer you comparisons with a range of models as others here might be.

If you buy a set used, try them for a time, and decide they are not for you, you will lose very little money in the process though, and I think it would be a worthy investigation.

As for the JH13. It is, for me, the second or third best headphone I have ever heard. That's behind the Stax Omega 2 and the bass heavy Sony R10, and the JH13 does not have the monstrous and expensive amplification requirements of either of those headphones into the bargain.

If you do go for the JH13. It will be glorious sound right out of an ipod and slightly more glorious from a portable amp like the Headamp Pico or TTJV portable or the new Pico Slim too.

If you have the money and the inclination, I would say go for the JH13. Youll sit and think about it every time you put in your Etys if you don't. It's not a small amount of money, but it's a hell of an amount of music you get out of them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back