Best under $2K DACs
Oct 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 67
Why not spring for a tad more and get a NAIM V1?

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #18 of 67

Why not spring for a tad more and get a NAIM V1?

Or a little more on a top of that and get Vega? LOL

How Eximus-DP1 fare as 2 in 1 DAC/HPAmp solution?

My understanding is that USB input is not very hot, how about amp section?

The dp-1 is said to be a great sounding dac. I myself have never heard it but I do not recall bad reports about it. imo, a dac's performance generally do not differ enough to provide you a "wow, this dac is obviously superior than dac "a"" once your dac scales in the high-end game. They may be slightly superior but isnt worth dishing that much more for that little, one could think that dac "b" is superior because it does bass slightly better than the dac "a" or because he prefers the voicing of dac "b".

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #20 of 67
  Get Arcam irDAC. 

Arcam has replaced its popular rDAC with the irDAC, a 24/192 DAC that it says is a stripped-down version of its 2000+ SuperDac D33. ‘After extensive testing against its competitors, we can confidently state that this is the best DAC money can buy under $1,000,’ said John Davies of Sennheiser Australia, which distributes Arcam in Australia. ‘It offers a substantial jump in performance over its predecessor and is exceptionally flexible thanks having six inputs and infrared remote control, which can also be used to control PCs, MACs and iDevices via the HID (Human interface device) control.

Curious to know which competitors it was put up against. Given that the person making the statement refuses to inform its readers of viable information, ill assume its competition was fiiO. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #21 of 67
I had a little play with a irDAC. There is no denying its flexibility if you need loads of inputs. But sound wise I wonder how bad it was considered to be before if it is now a substantial jump in performance. My rDAC hasn't had electricity running through its circuitry for months now and probably never will again whilst still in my possession. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #22 of 67
I've been talking to some guys who have owned Hegel HD20 which is a $1350 DAC, but replaced it with Arcam irDAC.
More expensive doesnt necessarily mean better, atleast not with DACs in my opinion. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #23 of 67
This is what the professionals use to make and record the music you buy. Why spend more?

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_ucx.php

Even with the optional remote control added it's still well within budget.

The best software, the best support, rock solid reliability, unbeatable flexibility, excellent resale value, USB, firewire and/or S/PDIF/ADAT, portable. !00% totally transparent sound both in and out. Box might not suit your furniture but it is small and rackable. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #24 of 67
I just love how brands market their products. No information as to its real technical specs, no graphs or legitimate measurements, not even photos of its internal components for potential buyers to view. Appears some brands would rather leave the true specs out of the pitch.

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #25 of 67

Found the answer, seems like it's not too hot either.
frown.gif

Surprise me as 6Moons gave it quite high rating comparing against AURALiC Taurus.
confused.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #26 of 67

Found the answer, seems like it's not too hot either.
frown.gif

Surprise me as 6Moons gave it quite high rating comparing against AURALiC Taurus.
confused.gif

It could just be preference 

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #27 of 67
I feel most dacs in the 1-2.5k range are pretty comparable ime. It really comes down to subjective preferences and features-technically they are generally on the same page as each other. I do feel the Eximus is unique though-as it's 3D presentation, intimacy, and effortlessness seem to be a step ahead of anything I've heard. OTOH, I don't think there's many technical differences between the DP-1, Master 7, V800 either. That's not to say I don't have a strong subjective opinion of one over the others however.
wink_face.gif

So as usual, try before you buy when possible-and don't put too much stock in people's opinion's around here, other than to get a general feel of where' their coming from. Ime.

-Daniel

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #28 of 67
  This is what the professionals use to make and record the music you buy. Why spend more?

The best software, the best support, rock solid reliability, unbeatable flexibility, excellent resale value, USB, firewire and/or S/PDIF/ADAT, portable. !00% totally transparent sound both in and out. Box might not suit your furniture but it is small and rackable. 

Thanks for the tip RD.  That RME Fireface UCX certainly has a nice large range of useful features above and beyond a typical home audiophile type DAC.  I was seriously considering it as an all-in-one unit to replace an aging E-MU 0404usb, until I got down to the technical specs and for the Headphone amp found this: Output impedance: 30 Ohm  - which isn't ideal for a lot of headphones from what I have read.  Although my Senn HD650s would probably be quite happy with it.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #29 of 67

If the UCX is anything like the original RME FireFace400 then its not even on the same playing ground in terms of sound quality (as DAC) with Lavry DA10/Benchmark DAC1/Yulong D100, let alone something really worth 1000$. As a pure DAC the FF400 can be compared with low budget dacs in my experience.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #30 of 67
How transparent does a DAC have to be to be more transparent than transparent?

RME gear is what the recording and broadcasting professional use. It might be able to spend more money on domestic equipment that measures better than RME in theory. However,  since humans cannot actually hear any difference that's moot anyway. Secondly, since the music you buy and the broadcasts you listen too have been made on pro grade kit it wouldn't really matter what the theoretical advantage would be since you cannot add what isn't there in the first place.

UCX is top of the range. A generation later than the, already impeccable, Fireface400  range. Fastest and lowest latency of any comparable unit on the market at the time of release. Despite being USB. That in itself is a credit to the software and hardware design. Got a remote control too.

I understand there are people here who still think different brands of cable sound different. Who think their ears can hear the difference between 0.005% and 0.0004% distortion. That's fine.

I'm simply pointing people who might be a little more open minded and realistic in the direction of first class gear they may not of previously considered. I'm not selling it.

The day you prove you can tell the difference between any RME product and the stuff you are peddling by ear alone is the day I eat my pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back