Best Under $2000 DAC and Phono
Sep 23, 2014 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nhubley

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if that is even a thing? DAC and Phono Preamp all rolled into a box as one. I currently have a WA2 and HD700 with a Rega RP3. I am looking to upgrade my Project phono box and my rDac to something more substantial. I was looking for something all in one. 

What do you guys suggest? Get a $2000 all in one DAC and Phono or get two separate components? 

Thank you for any help! 

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 9
Although I was able to find several such combos, I probably would hesitate to get any of them. The thing is they don't excel at either of the functions. $2000 can get you really very good performers if you go separate, plus you get a bit more flexibility with your setup.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 9
Although I was able to find several such combos, I probably would hesitate to get any of them. The thing is they don't excel at either of the functions. $2000 can get you really very good performers if you go separate, plus you get a bit more flexibility with your setup.

Thanks for the help! What kind of 1000 DAC do you recommend?

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 9
  Just wondering if that is even a thing? DAC and Phono Preamp all rolled into a box as one. I currently have a WA2 and HD700 with a Rega RP3. I am looking to upgrade my Project phono box and my rDac to something more substantial. I was looking for something all in one. 

What do you guys suggest? Get a $2000 all in one DAC and Phono or get two separate components? 

Thank you for any help! 

ADL/Furutech GT40 was a well-regarded budget DAC with phono, but it's been around for a few years and quite long in the tooth - ADL just announced the updated Stratos that is supposed to launch next month for about $800, so might be worth it to wait for reviews.  Has a Sabre 9018 DAC for PCM and up to 128 DSD, with a Cirrus Logic ADC chip.

Personally if you already have a preamp, I also think it probably makes more sense to have a separate DAC and phono stage - or sell your non-phono preamp and use the funds to get another that has a phono stage.

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 9

ADL/Furutech GT40 was a well-regarded budget DAC with phono, but it's been around for a few years and quite long in the tooth - ADL just announced the updated Stratos that is supposed to launch next month for about $800, so might be worth it to wait for reviews.  Has a Sabre 9018 DAC for PCM and up to 128 DSD, with a Cirrus Logic ADC chip.

Personally if you already have a preamp, I also think it probably makes more sense to have a separate DAC and phono stage - or sell your non-phono preamp and use the funds to get another that has a phono stage.

Looks like I am probably going the way of separate components. I am using a WA2 which has a preamp built in. Should I get a Woo Audio WDS-1 or something else for a DAC. Thank you for all the help! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back