Best unamped iem?
Jan 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Silenced

100+ Head-Fier
Which universal iem sounds best straight out of an ipod touch/ iphone? I am looking for an all arounder, as I listen to many genres. I listen mostly to indie, electronic, rock and some hip-hop BUT I also like my jazz and classical, even some opera.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which universal iem sounds best straight out of an ipod touch/ iphone? I am looking for an all arounder, as I listen to many genres. I listen mostly to indie, electronic, rock and some hip-hop BUT I also like my jazz and classical, even some opera.

If you are after the best, then there should be only one.
Isn't that priceless
smily_headphones1.gif

It is no other then our very own custom IEM

JH13Pro

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 16
Most iems are low-impedance and very efficient. So amping will only make a very minor difference with most iems (the exception being the er-4S.) So just choose the iem that fits your taste best and you should be good.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 16
The SE530 is very efficient, you definitely wouldn't need to run it at high volume. But maybe you could use a more neutral earphone if you truly do listen to a lot.

I would recommend the RE0; it's very neutral and can be driven easily from an iPod touch. Also, you wouldn't have to spend that much.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 16
I'd say the shure se 530, and the sennheiser IE7/8 are about as good as any unamped.
I actually like the my senns unamped for the most part, sound great out of my portables, the se 530 matches up really well with sony players in my opinion.
All 3 show very modest improvement with amping, but I think these 3 are about as close amped/not as any I've heard.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 16
Pick up a pair of TF10, they are selling for around $100 right now in the FS forum, or $150 on Ebay and Amazon marketplace due to the big TF10 sales from last month. I think they would work well for you as an all round IEM.

If bass is your thing, then go for IE8, again they can be had for around $300 on Amazon, the have big bass, big soundstage, nice forward mids and from I read non-fatiguing treble.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif

just get one of these and be done with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #14 of 16
I know that there was recently a poster looking to sell his JH5s for around 200 shipped in the FS forum, I don't know if he still has them or not.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #15 of 16
ER4P doesnt need an amp but improves nicely with one (and you can make it slightly more refined if you add 75 ohms of resistance). IMVHO its one of the most (the most?) versatile earphones in its price bracket.

Other than that youve got RE0, RE252 (which I haven't heard).

Regarding what Anthony said, I certainly agree, however if you purchase a canalphone that is focused towards clarity (ER4P, RE0), I will find that amping it poorly will reduce clarity (such as an ipod, STX etc) but attaching a nice amp to it will make the sound quite a few shades clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back