Best unamped headphone at $700ish, Beyerdynamics T5p?
Dec 31, 2016 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ductrung3993

500+ Head-Fier
Realized that I don't need wireless that much after living with RS180 for a while so I'm going back intro traditional rigs. I'm looking at rigs around $700 and would prefer unamped or portable amps. I'm looking at the TP5 and maybe the ESW10JPN too. I got the source "covered" so $700 is for headphone + amp or/and DAC. I prefer a *slightly* fun/easy-going and warm sound but not too far from neutral. What do you guys think on this matter? Thanks.

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 10
Beyerdynamics T5p?

That was my conclusion and now that they are breaking in, I am very happy with my decision. They are seriously close to my T1 and do a great job of sealing out the sound of my desktop PC. Comfy too.

I bought the original, not the Gen. 2. Far and away better than the MSR7 they replaced.

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Realistic, a bit metallic and very good isolating the noise.

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 10
I would jump on massdrop hd6xx pairs with schiit Jotunheim. Slightly over budget I knows but it will be an outstanding value.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 10
Re. your PM - Mojo vs. Dragonfly Red

The mojo is the best at resolving the finest details (for example cymbals). It also provides a little more separation between instruments.
Both of these qualities are very relevant to a closed HP like the T5p.2s.

For open HPs (like my Grados) the Dragonfly's more "compact" soundstage and more mid-forward presentation is fine.

The T5p.2 + Dragonfly combo is (imho) too closed, too dark. too forward, etc. and I would not recommend it. Then again there's no denying the improvement the Dragonfly brings to the typical Smartphone as well as its ease of use. Small, lightweight, no charging issues, etc. Regardless of which HP / IEM I'm using, it's nice to have the Dragonfly close by when the Mojo runs out of juice...
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 10
  Re. your PM - Mojo vs. Dragonfly Red

The mojo is the best at resolving the finest details (for example cymbals). It also provides a little more separation between instruments.
Both of these qualities are very relevant to a closed HP like the T5p.2s.

For open HPs (like my Grados) the Dragonfly's more "compact" soundstage and more mid-forward presentation is fine.

The T5p.2 + Dragonfly combo is (imho) too closed, too dark. too forward, etc. and I would not recommend it. Then again there's no denying the improvement the Dragonfly brings to the typical Smartphone as well as its ease of use. Small, lightweight, no charging issues, etc. Regardless of which HP / IEM I'm using, it's nice to have the Dragonfly close by when the Mojo runs out of juice...
wink.gif

Thank you for getting back! I might have to save up then....

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 10
I bought a very slightly used (20 hours) Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation for $675.00 in this very forum.   The second generation is a bit warmer than the first generation and quite a bit "fun" in my estimation.  I absolutely love mine.  Based on your criteria, go for the SECOND GENERATION T5p.  technobear is correct that the T5p is very close to the T1--I've had both and A/B'd them.  I chose the T5p because it was more practical and fun than the T1.  They do not sound closed.....in fact they sounded more "open" than my Philips Fidelio X2 which are open.  I think my T5p.2 is end game for me and my particular budget.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 10
I really enjoy both the open and closed el-8 with or without use of my only portable the audioquest dragonfly red.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 10
I've read you can get them at this price sometimes: Ultrasone Signature DJ? Very easy to drive, full bass, treble is smooth, but I suppose some might find it still too Ultrasone-y. Earpads can be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back