Best ultrasone bass?
Dec 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #47 of 54

Quote:
A. What is this Ultrasone Pro 650 everyone talks about? Their website only shows the Pro 550, 750, 900 and 2900. No 650.

Pro650 is currently replaced by "Ultrasone 20th anniversary". Its a LE Pro650.

Everyone talk? who? Pro650 is the most neutral headphone from ultrasone serie, not the more fun and not the best.

Quote:
B. People mention the 580,Pro 550, DJ1 etc.  Honestly dont they all sound identical? They use the exact same 50mm mylar driver/magnet assembly as far as I can tell. What specifically is giving them slightly altered sound characteristics?

You can have the same driver and a completely different sound. Driver can be tuned and the different housing does the rest.

The best example is Pro900 vs Pro2900, same driver, close vs open, but two completely different sound.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #48 of 54

Quote:

Pro650 is currently replaced by "Ultrasone 20th anniversary". Its a LE Pro650.

Everyone talk? who? Pro650 is the most neutral headphone from ultrasone serie, not the more fun and not the best.

You can have the same driver and a completely different sound. Driver can be tuned and the different housing does the rest.

The best example is Pro900 vs Pro2900, same driver, close vs open, but two completely different sound.

I understand the differences of enclosure design and the effect on sound.

Lets use the HFI 580 and Pro 550 for example though. Same driver, impedance etc. Both are also closed designs. What is the difference in sound between the 2? Honestly I cant see anything more than a small/minute alteration in the sound. The only big difference I see is the Pro comes with detachable cords and a case.........

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #50 of 54

Quote:
Lets use the HFI 580 and Pro 550 for example though. Same driver, impedance etc. Both are also closed designs. What is the difference in sound between the 2? Honestly I cant see anything more than a small/minute alteration in the sound. The only big difference I see is the Pro comes with detachable cords and a case.........

Their sound signature is completely different. HFi/Pro are really very different.

Like pro650 and HFi680/ Pro900 and Hfi780.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #51 of 54

Quote:

Their sound signature is completely different. HFi/Pro are really very different.

Like pro650 and HFi680/ Pro900 and Hfi780.

Very different(As in TRUE night and day different)? Or subtly different(same basic "sound", just very small improvement/refinement in the quality of the sound)??

Im having a hard time believing 2 headphones with the same 50mm mylar driver, and basically the same closed back ear enclosure is going to give anything other than a subtle difference or improvement to the overall SQ. The basic "foundation" between the 2 sets of headphones is near identical. The mfg. specs out the fs response the same, even the sensitivity is close. Only difference I found is the impedance on the 580 is 32ohms and the 550 is double that at 64ohms.

The the other question, asking if I had heard em, as of now, no I havent, still waiting to. My questioning comes from the lack of actual physical design differences between the 2 headsets other than the detachable cord and case. The actual physical differences are subtle at best, Id have a hard time believing the sound difference will be anything more than subtle as well. I could very well be wrong without question, but have my doubts.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #52 of 54
Very different.

HFi 580/780 are much more in your face sounding, where Pro550 is more V shaped with recessed and more distant mids. Better soundstage for pro version, but HFi are much more fun, lively and aggresive.

If you want punchy bass, take Hfi580/Pro550, more refined and detailed sound, take Hfi780. Pro packaging are better, but pro550/650 pads from cheap pleather are very bad imo.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #53 of 54

Quote:
Very different.

HFi 580/780 are much more in your face sounding, where Pro550 is more V shaped with recessed and more distant mids. Better soundstage for pro version, but HFi are much more fun, lively and aggresive.

If you want punchy bass, take Hfi580/Pro550, more refined and detailed sound, take Hfi780. Pro packaging are better, but pro550/650 pads from cheap pleather are very bad imo.

ANd what about the Pro 900? Im looking at doing either the Pro 550 or HFI 580 for good QUALITY BASS and natural extension for cheap money for everyday use and workouts, and possibly a Pro 900 in the near future.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #54 of 54

Quote:
ANd what about the Pro 900? Im looking at doing either the Pro 550 or HFI 580 for good QUALITY BASS and natural extension for cheap money for everyday use and workouts, and possibly a Pro 900 in the near future.

If I compare Pro550 to Pro900, Pro900 is much better in all domains. Quality bass from Pro900 are also better than HFi580 bass, but pro900 is V shaped, more recessed mids than Hfi 580 but better quality mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back