Best ultrasone bass?
Dec 6, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #31 of 54

Quote:

Had denon d2000 and pro 550, it was not a contest at all denon wins.

Denon had massive weight in bass which was much more airier then pro 550, very interesting combination. Imaging, soundstage and comfort was far better on denon as well, and after little EQ mids on denon don't sound bad at all, if you take that phat bass into account.

too bad i cant buy them since my mdts havent arrived...SIGH! im sure i wont find them for 190 in any other place..

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #32 of 54
I haven't tried QC15, but Hfi580 is an excellent headphone for the price, its a certainty.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #33 of 54
I have to completely disagree, I've listened to both side to side and the 550's have stronger mids as represented in FQ charts.  Quality is the same in terms of detail but female vocals and acoustic string instruments sound significantly more forward on the 550's.

Quote:

Yes for gaming, but for vocals...Hfi580 midrange are more forward, quality are identical if i remember correctly.

If you are afraid to make a mistake, take the cheapest,lol.

Of course the D2000's would be better, the D1100 is more in the price class of the 550's, these days your talking about doubling the 550's price to get the D2000's.  Worth the price, however, if your budget doesn't allow it, they're a good significantly cheaper alternative.  I've been looking into getting the D2000's as my next can (or just saving for D5000) and finally got to test them out and they are indeed, better than the 550's, but at $110 the 550's provide a great experience.

Quote:

Had denon d2000 and pro 550, it was not a contest at all denon wins.

Denon had massive weight in bass which was much more airier then pro 550, very interesting combination. Imaging, soundstage and comfort was far better on denon as well, and after little EQ mids on denon don't sound bad at all, if you take that phat bass into account.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #34 of 54
My experience was not so great with pro 550, I guess I became spoiled music brat and now I am neatpicking more and more 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #35 of 54

Quote:
I have to completely disagree, I've listened to both side to side and the 550's have stronger mids as represented in FQ charts.  Quality is the same in terms of detail but female vocals and acoustic string instruments sound significantly more forward on the 550's.

Really strange, i'm sure i had the opposite. It was one of the reason why i had sold them.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #40 of 54
a shot in the dark here, but have you tried the XB500s?

I know it's not as known for quality like Denons or Ultrasones, but it's legit when it comes to bass.  It might be what you're looking for.

btw, I own a pair of D2000s and love, but the XB500s are now my go to headphone for ridiculous bass when I need it (usually for hip-hop/pop/electronic music).

The bass on the D2000s are quality and the headphone in general is a better "do-it-all" sort of set, but the XB500s are what I'd imagine it'd feel like if small subwoofers on my ears.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #41 of 54

Quote:
a shot in the dark here, but have you tried the XB500s?

I know it's not as known for quality like Denons or Ultrasones, but it's legit when it comes to bass.  It might be what you're looking for.

btw, I own a pair of D2000s and love, but the XB500s are now my go to headphone for ridiculous bass when I need it (usually for hip-hop/pop/electronic music).

The bass on the D2000s are quality and the headphone in general is a better "do-it-all" sort of set, but the XB500s are what I'd imagine it'd feel like if small subwoofers on my ears.

the xb500's quality/clarity is unbearable coming from tf10 and MDTs, and the bgass is pretty good but it dosent blow me away, then again i used them from my iphone 4.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #42 of 54

Quote:
the xb500's quality/clarity is unbearable coming from tf10 and MDTs, and the bgass is pretty good but it dosent blow me away, then again i used them from my iphone 4.

Did you EQ them?

yeah, I know that's taboo here, but these are probably the only cans I'd use the EQ with (electronic/hip-hop).  For my ears it hits pretty hard.  If something hits harder, I'd like to try it, as I'm really happy with this purchase (it's almost seems embarrassing to like them as much as I do).

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #43 of 54

Quote:

Did you EQ them?

yeah, I know that's taboo here, but these are probably the only cans I'd use the EQ with (electronic/hip-hop).  For my ears it hits pretty hard.  If something hits harder, I'd like to try it, as I'm really happy with this purchase (it's almost seems embarrassing to like them as much as I do).

i just tried em with "bass booster" on iphone4 which is what i almost always have on, including tf10 and mdts , try the triple fi 10s to see what real budget quality/clarity is all about, and then check the miles davis tributes as they have some really nice bass...this is my new "setup" http://www.head-fi.org/t/584125/what-should-i-expect-of-this-setup#post_7952189

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #44 of 54
I'm not a huge IEM fan.  They're good for traveling light or for extremely well isolation, but I want to rock out to some headphones sometimes when I'm traveling here and there.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #45 of 54
K, I got a few questions:

A. What is this Ultrasone Pro 650 everyone talks about? Their website only shows the Pro 550, 750, 900 and 2900. No 650.

B. People mention the 580,Pro 550, DJ1 etc.  Honestly dont they all sound identical? They use the exact same 50mm mylar driver/magnet assembly as far as I can tell. What specifically is giving them slightly altered sound characteristics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back