Best Ultraportable Ever Made?
Feb 23, 2020 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

baronkatz

100+ Head-Fier
I had a PX100 and loved it, until I got a PX95 which I found to be even more airy and open sounding. Now I'm searching for a replacement - it can be current or discontinued. I never liked the Koss Porta Pro or any of the Koss ones as much.

Essentially I'm searching for PX series form factor but with Beyerdynamic DT series sound (DT990 sound signature or closest to that). They can be vintage as long as I can find them, or new. I see Beyer made a DTX300 and 350, but not sure of how they sound.

Not open to IEM's or any bigger supraurals since I want to go walking, jogging, hiking, and even laying down with them, so they must an ultra portable form factor that will work for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 8
When youl ask the "best Ultraportable" I would think about something crazy like Tia Fourté, but I think you are asking what's the best for you?
So it would be helpful to tell us your budget, players and so on.

Feb 29, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 8
By “ultraportable” you mean a headphone, not an earphone, right?

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 8
By “ultraportable” you mean a headphone, not an earphone, right?

By Ultraportable I mean over ear - not IEM's... Examples: Sennheiser PX100/PX95, Koss Porta Pro, etc... I would not consider the Audio Technica ESW9 or ES10 as an Ultra Portable as they are too big. I want something I can comfortably walk and run around in and even lay down in without them hitting the pillow, etc... An IEM is not an Ultra Portable, it's an IEM. These are ultra portables:

ultraportables_def2.jpg

My budget is around $200-$300 and I'm OK with buying used and vintage - I mean the Sennheisers were originally around $100. The PX95's sounded a bit more open than the PX100's and both sounded better to me than the Koss Porta Pro's and were more ergonomic. However, I think there must be something even better and higher end out there in the ultra portable segment. I really like the sound of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's and MB Quart's/German Maestro. My favourite sound signature one could say is 80s-90s German High End Hi-Fi. I like sparkly highs (without sibilance) and an OK amount of bass (like the DT990's level) with ultra clarity overall. Open or closed back are fine.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 8
My biggest ultra portable suggestion is the Kennerton/Fischer Audio Oldskool 70s.

(it is the last item, the far right headphone in your picture above)

They are amazing. No breaking flaws.

Very clean voices/mids. Good midbass. And detailed highs but not pushed enough to be fatiguing.

Great soundstage that you wouldn't expect from the form factor.

Much better than the Koss products.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 8
I would suggest today's German high end Hi Fi brand Ultrasone, I love my ED8 and it's the only headphones can wear for hours without getting tired. This brand's signature style would be bright highs with well-controlled basses. Their Pro series have something meet your ultraportable request like PRO 780i.

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 8
My biggest ultra portable suggestion is the Kennerton/Fischer Audio Oldskool 70s.

Thanks I will check them out. How do they compare to the PX95 and PX100 Senns?

I would suggest today's German high end Hi Fi brand Ultrasone, I love my ED8 and it's the only headphones can wear for hours without getting tired. This brand's signature style would be bright highs with well-controlled basses. Their Pro series have something meet your ultraportable request like PRO 780i.

The Pro 780i is not exactly an ultra portable. They are not exactly even SupraAurals. Has to be the size/form factor of the ones I listed.

Mar 2, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks I will check them out. How do they compare to the PX95 and PX100 Senns?

The Pro 780i is not exactly an ultra portable. They are not exactly even SupraAurals. Has to be the size/form factor of the ones I listed.

I have only tried them against my old Koss stuff. So can't help you unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back