Best Ultra High End DAC?
Aug 6, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #16 of 91
Think of all the live music you could see for $38,000. No need to wonder if the DAC is “ good enough”
I've never heard a live performance rival the album recording. Except for Ozzy 😂

Hot weather if outside, tight seating if indoors, expensive tickets, $12 beer, loud people, $20 parking with traffic jam in and out, singer changing the way they sing the song, etc.

My patience is worth more than $38k lol.

Aug 6, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #17 of 91
There's room for improvement, if you check the ASR measurements of the Dave against others you can see where it stands. I've had about 40-50 DACs for the business, and over 116 SINAD the filters and color settings are the only way I can tell the difference. Only the AK4499 has slow filters with a treble rolloff that are really noticeable. It's one area I would just get one that hits a 120 SINAD, and has the aesthetics and connectivity you like/need.
The difficult thing about measurements is that they do not often tell the full story. Something can measure very well, but sound dry, clinical, and have a lack of connection to the music. Perfect example of this would be my DNA Stratus. I'm sure it measures poorly, but it's one of the best amps I have ever heard.

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #18 of 91
The difficult thing about measurements is that they do not often tell the full story. Something can measure very well, but sound dry, clinical, and have a lack of connection to the music. Perfect example of this would be my DNA Stratus. I'm sure it measures poorly, but it's one of the best amps I have ever heard.
Correct! I have a tube Aitos prepre/pre amp and two tube Aitos OTL power amps which measure ok, but never heard better amps. And I listened to quite a few.

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #19 of 91
I wish I can say there's an equipment that can enhance your experience but passed a certain point you'll need more than blind spending. You won't get much (if any) meaningful impressions here as most won't even reach the amount of money you're willing to spend on the hobby as a whole let alone on a singular item. Throwing a bunch of expensive gear together is not gonna cut it at this stage though having a fat wallet certainly helps. What sticks out when you're listening to the Thrax that make you think the Chord is lacking?

Before drawing any conclusions on MSB or any product I'd encourage you get in touch with a dealer to arrange a listening session. There's only so much you can get from reading reviews online. At this price range it's the least you can do.

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #20 of 91
Dave blue mk2 isn’t doing it? I can’t decide what’s better than my chord TT and antipodes dx3. I keep looking but outside of a house fire destroying my rig, couldn’t bring my self to upgrade… but am fascinated by folks that attempt to….

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #21 of 91
Dave blue mk2 isn’t doing it? I can’t decide what’s better than my chord TT and antipodes dx3. I keep looking but outside of a house fire destroying my rig, couldn’t bring my self to upgrade… but am fascinated by folks that attempt to….
That is what is making it so hard. Dave and BLU is pretty good. But there is more. Every step I have been taking is a little better, little deeper, a little more musical, a little clearer, etc. I want to feel like during an acoustic playback, I'm sitting in front of them and they are only playing for me. That I can hear the space they are playing it, hear the sound reflecting around the space, the breaths they take, everything.

Hence this next first step into mega audio.

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #22 of 91
That is what is making it so hard. Dave and BLU is pretty good. But there is more. Every step I have been taking is a little better, little deeper, a little more musical, a little clearer, etc. I want to feel like during an acoustic playback, I'm sitting in front of them and they are only playing for me. That I can hear the space they are playing it, hear the sound reflecting around the space, the breaths they take, everything.

Hence this next first step into mega audio.
Understood, granted haven’t tried Dave yet, but did hugo 1 versus hugo 2 was my first wake up to supposed upgrade that in some ways I found h1 more musical. Now I’m jaded a little but with no horse in the race. But I get the quest, even if my wallet refuses the journey. Frankly since money no object it seems in the pursuit of fidelity, I’d consider antipodes oladra server at 25 g usd. Frankly the best way to receive the 1 and zeros there is on the market. A little out of my price range…

Aug 6, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #23 of 91
you may want to check out What's Best Forum,alot of info there.
If you are not adverse to tubes I can highly recommend Lampizator
I am currently using a Pacific Dac and emm labs dac6 before that.

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #25 of 91
Another option I looked at was buying the DC4 / ARC6 DC4 PSU for Dave. A lot of people say that it is transformative for the Dave, almost to the save effect as adding the mscaler or Blu. Anyone have any experience with this?

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #26 of 91
I ordered MSB Premier. Have always liked the R2R DACs. I use a Holo Audio Spring I in one set up, and have loved an AudioNoteKits 4.1 DAC, which utilizes an R2R (in a DIP), with an exquisite tube/transformer based output section (Limited to 14/96, no DSD).

Currently using Bricasti M12 in main system, which sports a nice Sigma/Delta board, and a 1 bit board for DSD process. I upsample all to DSD 64 in my Roon core.

I got a tubed pre-amp earlier this year, so the pre-amp part of the M12 is not needed. I got spousal approval for a “statement” upgrade, and quickly ordered the MSB with Renderer module.

Further downsizing next year may preclude the vinyl setup, I’ll use the MSB to control both speaker and headphone setup, being digital only (Roon, and Toslink from TV). Vinyl is so needy space wise. Time will tell.

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #27 of 91
I ordered MSB Premier. Have always liked the R2R DACs. I use a Holo Audio Spring I in one set up, and have loved an AudioNoteKits 4.1 DAC, which utilizes an R2R (in a DIP), with an exquisite tube/transformer based output section (Limited to 14/96, no DSD).

Currently using Bricasti M12 in main system, which sports a nice Sigma/Delta board, and a 1 bit board for DSD process. I upsample all to DSD 64 in my Roon core.

I got a tubed pre-amp earlier this year, so the pre-amp part of the M12 is not needed. I got spousal approval for a “statement” upgrade, and quickly ordered the MSB with Renderer module.

Further downsizing next year may preclude the vinyl setup, I’ll use the MSB to control both speaker and headphone setup, being digital only (Roon, and Toslink from TV). Vinyl is so needy space wise. Time will tell.
I looked at the MSB reference and select 2, but it's a bit much when I still want to upgrade other areas of my system. Right now I'm working in getting the cleanest power to the components. Going to switch all hurricane power cords to dragon, and then upgrade to all Niagara 5000's. Currently running a 5000 and a 3000. After that, I'm going to run 2 dedicated circuits from the breaker so there is as little interference as possible. Slowly but surely, one step at a time. I think I may try the arc6 psu for Dave first, as it's the "cheapest" at about 8-10k vs 30k-50k+ for a new dac.

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #28 of 91
after a certain point, one is seeking the correct “flavor” for their system. Other factors include price, form factor, and what I describe as fussiness.

I have used a system it’s DAC, microRendu, and special power supplies for several items in the chain. A whole lot of stuff to manage, and fit in. As I have aged, I have worked to simplify my system. My Pre-Amp has its own linear PSU separate from the Pre-Amp, and the MSB Premier as the same, and the Renderer fits in as an option. I plan a USB input later, and likely the headphone unit to match. The etherRendu, with iFi switching PSU rounds out the system. Perhaps a Bluetooth-SPDIF adapter, or even a modded Sonos unit for coax SPDIF input might be in the range of possibilities.

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #29 of 91
For a long time, I was one of those that didn't think power supplies or cables mattered. Naim really started making me a believer, as everytime I went with an external psu it stepped everything up a notch, even when I thought it couldn't get better. Hence my current focus on power.

As I started looking at better and better DACs, it made me realize that all the components leading up to better be top notch otherwise it won't make much of a difference. If I am strangling the Dave with a bunch of noise and dirty power, then a "better" dac might only get me 5-8% better, and for the money that isn't what I'm going for. Putting a 50k dac after less than 10k worth of power prep just didn't make sense in my head. It'd be like having a 1000hp car with bad suspension or winter tires. You might have the power, but wouldn't be able to use it to it's full potential.

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #30 of 91
and then upgrade to all Niagara 5000's. Currently running a 5000 and a 3000.
Try looking for Puritan PSM156 + Groundmaster. Lots of comparisons on the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back