Best Ultra High End DAC?
Jan 9, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #76 of 91
I swear that my antipodes dx3 oladra upgrade music sever took a mid fi DAC like TT and turned it into way way more. To the point I read these forums and viewpoints with fascination and at the same time, how is it possible to improve this system rig. I know it's possible but is there the financial resolve to make the effort. point being mid fi dacs, hp like hd800S can elevate ones experience to the who cares plane. under a good server. oh and i do care

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #77 of 91
Glad you finally got a dac worth owning. Sorry you had to go through a bunch of chifi and mediocre stuff. I would rather buy last gen stuff from real dac manufacturers than the pretenders and copycats.
Don't feel sorry, it was a pleasure to learn and understand. ChiFi is not that bad at all.. and like @musicrocks adds: the DAC is 'only' one component in the system..

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #78 of 91
You are right, the journey matters as much as the destination. I also started with chifi over 20 years ago. Chifi was never bad even 20yrs ago but it has always been a value option.

In any case I am stoked you found APL - you almost never see APL gear in the US.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #79 of 91
I swear that my antipodes dx3 oladra upgrade music sever took a mid fi DAC like TT and turned it into way way more. To the point I read these forums and viewpoints with fascination and at the same time, how is it possible to improve this system rig. I know it's possible but is there the financial resolve to make the effort. point being mid fi dacs, hp like hd800S can elevate ones experience to the who cares plane. under a good server. oh and i do care
This is exactly what I am talking about. I see many PCs as sources on head-fi. They are good in small systems, not in higher end ones.

The best analogy I have found so far is: a system behaves like connected water pipes. One can increase the size of the pipes, purify the water and make the stream more even. There are bottlenecks along the path. The ultimate one being the headphone and no Valkyrie will change that.

You have a great server. I used to have the GSX MK2 with the Bartók and the Cayin HA–300MK2 with good tubes is way beyond what the headamp can deliver. The Utopias work very well with the Cayin.

A used non–Apex Bartók is great value and can be upgraded with a clock later.

I view these choices in terms of what music means in my life and how precious the time is I spend listening to it.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #80 of 91
. Ideon has a big mouth on their website, which makes me cautious.
I don’t see the ‘big mouth’ kind of attitude there (other than emphasizing what their tech is all about and some marketing related stuff).. being cautious is not needed, it was a major upgrade coming from the Grimm Audio MU1 streamer 👍

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #81 of 91
In any case I am stoked you found APL - you almost never see APL gear in the US.
I live in the EU where APL is more often shown at audio shows etc. Still APL is a typical small boutique manufacturer producing low numbers of gear (that are obviously pricier).

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #82 of 91
I heard Stromtank several times at dealers and it collapsed the music’s dynamics in my ears.
That depends on what your reference is.. for me the Stromtank improves the SQ when compared to:
1. Treated power line (dedicated group, upgraded internal wiring, no earth leakage circuit breaker, Furutech NCF wall socket)
2. Additional use of a Transparent Reference series PowerIsolator

What are better options than the Stromtank in your opinion?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #83 of 91
Why are you surprised? Improving the source *always* improves the chain. You can't make a silk purse from a pigs ear.

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #84 of 91
I am getting second thoughts about posting in this thread.

Time and thinking went into the writing. I have built eleven systems during my 35 year audio journey. The biggest one costing about a million quid including the room. I do meticulous research, a ton of independent thinking and experiment without prejudice. I have a software engineering degree. If all that does not establish credibility and above all respect, I am in the wrong place.

Will I enjoy other people‘s systems? Sometimes. Will other people enjoy mine? Sometimes. Such is the nature of our hobby.

ETA: As I go back in time there was only one system from someone else which truly blew me away. Purpose built room, dCS stack, Spectral amps, Avalon speakers. All meticulously set up. The one I subsequently built will not have been better, only different. Suited to my tastes.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #85 of 91
I am getting second thoughts about posting in this thread.
Don’t waste your time on things that don’t give you energy! The hobby (and exchanging experiences in this thread) should be fun after all…
If all that does not establish credibility and above all respect, I am in the wrong place.
I am afraid I am not familiar with all your great achievements.. enjoy them and celebrate them as victories!

PS. Respecting other people is one of my basic principles (regardless of what they have or have not achieved).

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #86 of 91
This is exactly what I am talking about. I see many PCs as sources on head-fi. They are good in small systems, not in higher end ones.

The best analogy I have found so far is: a system behaves like connected water pipes. One can increase the size of the pipes, purify the water and make the stream more even. There are bottlenecks along the path. The ultimate one being the headphone and no Valkyrie will change that.

You have a great server. I used to have the GSX MK2 with the Bartók and the Cayin HA–300MK2 with good tubes is way beyond what the headamp can deliver. The Utopias work very well with the Cayin.

A used non–Apex Bartók is great value and can be upgraded with a clock later.

I view these choices in terms of what music means in my life and how precious the time is I spend listening to it.
The reason you didn’t like gsx2 is probably because of your streamer and the dac. Bartok is really mid performance stuff sold at high-end price. Your streamer which was built using off the shelf PC parts is also not helping. You are resorting to high distortion tube gear to compensate for the shortcomings in your source and dac.

How did you spend $1mm on gear and ending up with Bartok as your current dac?

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #88 of 91
The ignore feature of this forum is a blessing.
Why don’t we show a little respect to each other and choose not to be so snobbish about other people’s choices and opinions?

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #89 of 91
I mean Bartok (pre APEX) is not bad in the absolutely sense, but it's neither the sweet spot in the dCS line nor is high-end. You would figure someone who has done this for decades and built million dollar systems would be able to tell the difference between "high end" and "high price"

Jan 9, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #90 of 91
I'm kind of leaning towards the Nagra. If I can ignore my racing hobby that is. Tires are as expensive as headphones, and don't last near as long 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back