Best type of solder for audio quality
Jun 30, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #46 of 48
I would to first state that I have absolutely no experience working with solders, or soldering for that matter. What I do have, is a little bit of experience playing around with the use of different solder in the upgrade cables that I purchase. I have personally sent my cables to be reterminated, mutiple times, using a different solder each time, and using fresh parts (I dont reuse the old parts). 

So I would just like to make a strong statement in that solders do make a large difference in altering the sonic characteristic of the cable. I've tried oyaide audio grade solder, wbt and mundorf supreme silver gold. My personal take would be that mundorf provides the best sonic characteristics, with tighter lows and sharper highs that extends slightly higher. It is, an extremely revealing solder for lack of a better description. However it does come at a cost, as it is, according to those who have worked on my cables, a b**** to work with, and prohibitively expensive. 

So solder does make a difference. But is it worth it? Prehaps yes, and maybe not. Its a balance of how far you wish to push your audio game, and how deep your wallet (or energy spent testing) extends. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back