Best TV Scifi Series?
Jan 16, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #91 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
DA,
Me, I enjoyed "First Wave" on the Sci-Fi channel. The ending was a little stretch of the imaghination but the last season was definitely very engrossing, starting with the introduction of Traci Lords as his other dimension co-general and the "Hammer of Thor".

WJ
I remember seeing bits and pieces of First Wave but don't really know that much about it. Was this a serious scifi series or just campy like Lexx or Barbarella?

Also how is life possible without cable TV......did you go sattelite?

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #92 of 102
I really liked Lexx. I have a thing for half drama half comedy where you really care about the characters which makes the jokes so much more enjoyable. The TV series fell a little short of the original movies that first appeared on Showtime (featuring the dreamy Eva Habermann as Xev) in terms of depth. The "second" season after the movies was particularly awful, but after the show found a voice, it turned out great.

Its kind of like Star Trek without all that truth and honor garbage. All the characters really only care about themselves which I like to think better illustrates the human condition.

IMO the best thing to ever come out of Canada and you have to love that gay robot head.

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #93 of 102
Firefly movie had a screening sometime in December. The latest release date is September 30th. It was supposed to come out in April, but they delayed it since I guess there were numerous movies aimed at same demographics around the original release date.

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #94 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Okkler
I really liked Lexx. I have a thing for half drama half comedy where you really care about the characters which makes the jokes so much more enjoyable. The TV series fell a little short of the original movies that first appeared on Showtime (featuring the dreamy Eva Habermann as Xev) in terms of depth. The "second" season after the movies was particularly awful, but after the show found a voice, it turned out great.

Too bad Scifi only plays Lexx reruns at some ungodly hour in middle of morning (4am on weekends?) But I have to admit Lexx is the most cutting edge over the top programing I have ever seen on TV series. Almost like watching a David Lynch "blue velvet" every week, because it was so bizarre the show was either brilliant or campy experiment each week, kinda hit or miss......there is a fine line between genius and demented insanity
k1000smile.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #95 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Also how is life possible without cable TV......did you go sattelite?

Rabbit Ears and a $10 a month subscription to Hollywood Movie Rentals (which is one block away)... all the movies you want to watch, 3 at a time, so long as they are not first run movies.

Today it is "Indiana Jones & the Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Back to the Future, Part I" and "Thunderball".

"First Wave" was a great series, imo. Aliens come to invade the world in three waves, prophetisied by a secret book of Nostradamus; Aliens suck out your soul and transfer in theirs or genetically grow bodies and transfer their consciousnesses with a metal ball; experiments to grow a body strong enough to hold their leader; salt as a drug; bodies that disappear when the alien is killed, taking all the evidence away with them. It included time travel, alternate universes and brainwashing. It was definitely not Buck Rogers' like camp.

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #97 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
"First Wave" was a great series, imo.

Same here...I lived on a steady dose of First Wave and Farscape for a couple of years. The twice-blessed man, Cade Foster and his trustworth yet Paranoid friend Eddie were the ultimate predict-the-future today team. I miss them

Jan 28, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #98 of 102
Claudia Black (from Farscape) makes her appearance on Stargate SG1 tonight.......I will be watching.

Battlestar Gallactica has been less than impressive so far, not sure how much longer I will be watching this.

Jan 28, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #99 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rassilon
How can you not list the longest running SF series ever?
Plus, which of those can boast having Douglas Adams write episodes?

Only Doctor Who!

Our local PBS just finished showing the last of the Sylvester McCoy stories 2 weeks ago. So last weekend we were wondering what thay would do, and they showed the beginning of "An Unearthly Child" i.e the first ever story, I wonder if they have the whole 63 - 89 run i.e 600+ episodes. If so at 2 episodes a week it will take them 6 years to get through them
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #100 of 102
For me the best Sci-fi "mini" series was Oliver Stone's "Wild Palms". I loved that William Gibson-sque masterpiece. Funny, weird, frightening. Angie Dickson was the best thing since Lady McBeth. A must-see. Is it real or is it mimizine?

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #101 of 102
I don't watch TV except anime. -.-'

But I used to like Sliders, mainly for that cute girl and John Rhys-Davies. He's awesome.
icon10.gif
Oh, and Quantum Leap. That show was pretty cool, too. Most of the stuff recently just kinda turns me off though.

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #102 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Too bad Scifi only plays Lexx reruns at some ungodly hour in middle of morning (4am on weekends?) But I have to admit Lexx is the most cutting edge over the top programing I have ever seen on TV series. Almost like watching a David Lynch "blue velvet" every week, because it was so bizarre the show was either brilliant or campy experiment each week, kinda hit or miss......there is a fine line between genius and demented insanity
k1000smile.gif

Remember to always keep a watchful eye on the carrots when food shopping ...
eek.gif
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back