Best turntable for around $500?
Apr 14, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 6
I've been looking into this myself and here are some of the tables I'd buy: New I'd get either a Goldring GR-1 or a Pro-Ject 1 Xpression. For used a Music Hall MMF-5, a vintage Thorens with upgraded arm, or a used Technics SL-1200 MKII/MK3D with an upgraded arm are probably the best options. If you decide to buy used be sure that the seller will ship the turntable well (especially make sure that they will remove the platter from the table, and preferably box it seperately before bidding/buying).

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 6
I'd search Audiogon and buy a Rega Planar 2 or 3, either one really, as long as it has a RB250 or RB300 arm. If you're patient you can probably get one for not much more than $300, which leaves plenty for a good cartridge, maybe a Denon DL160.

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 6
HI,

Sorry it has taken a while for me to reply... I like the Music Hall MMF5 and the SOTA Moonbeam. Both have recently gone up in price to around $600 but if you are a Head-Fier and calll me you know you get the good guy discount ... if you order online you will get a discount too.

The GR-1 is a good turntable but for the extra bucks you get a much better product. There just isn't a great turntable for under $500. I am not a big fan of the Thorens TD170 or 190. They run way too fast and seem to be very cheaply built. The MMF5 and Moonbeam are sturdier and sound considerably better.

A couple of real winners just up the price scale are the SOTA Comet and a bit higher yet the VPI Scout. These two table are outstanding values and I highly recommend them for long term use. They are overachievers in their price range and sound like some much more expensive tables.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back