Best Tuning Materials
Aug 7, 2022 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BCool

100+ Head-Fier
What are some good materials to help tune a headphone? Are there specific kinds of foam that most people use, and how do you keep them in place? I know cotton wool is useful for increasing bass for instance, do different densities of foam have an appreciable effect on FR?

Apologies if these are basic questions, I'm a bit of noob when it comes to DIY/modding.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 6
What are some good materials to help tune a headphone? Are there specific kinds of foam that most people use, and how do you keep them in place? I know cotton wool is useful for increasing bass for instance, do different densities of foam have an appreciable effect on FR?

Apologies if these are basic questions, I'm a bit of noob when it comes to DIY/modding.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
There is a lot of info on the Fostex TR50rp tuning forum. E.g.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/10995#post_11321413

I used plastercine, adhesive felt, cotton balls etc…. It’s good fun.

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 6
fo.q tape works really well for reigning in resonance and vibration.

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 6
I've done a lot of tuning with different stuff, diyaudioheaven does measurements of them which is helpful. The Hifiman packing foam sheets are nice to cut for lifting the veil on a Sennheiser like the 58x. Best way is hold it up to a light to compare how dense it is. If it's too bright then a denser foam helps sometimes to avoid eq.
The plies of toilet paper helps take brightness down, but it works like a comb filter and reflects it back, not absorbs it. A hobby or cloth shop like Joanne Fabrics has a lot of different ones. It's easy to just take the foam out, then temporarily slide different cutouts in to listen for the sound your after before committing.

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 6
There is a lot of info on the Fostex TR50rp tuning forum. E.g.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/10995#post_11321413

I used plastercine, adhesive felt, cotton balls etc…. It’s good fun.
I'll have to give that a proper look. There's so much out there about modding T50RPs that it's hard to know where to start!
fo.q tape works really well for reigning in resonance and vibration.
Oof, that's a bit out of my budget at the moment but I might look into it down the line.
I've done a lot of tuning with different stuff, diyaudioheaven does measurements of them which is helpful. The Hifiman packing foam sheets are nice to cut for lifting the veil on a Sennheiser like the 58x. Best way is hold it up to a light to compare how dense it is. If it's too bright then a denser foam helps sometimes to avoid eq.
The plies of toilet paper helps take brightness down, but it works like a comb filter and reflects it back, not absorbs it. A hobby or cloth shop like Joanne Fabrics has a lot of different ones. It's easy to just take the foam out, then temporarily slide different cutouts in to listen for the sound your after before committing.
Do you know what to search for online? I'm in the UK and don't have any fabric shops I can just pop into. I've looked up 'acoustic foam' but I'm not sure that's the same stuff I've seen people put in their headphones, it seems to be used mostly for making PCs quieter.

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Dynamat: fairly cheap, controls resonances, amount you use where determines how much it does. Stays stuck

Sorbothane is really good and expensive. The adhesive is weak and gives way if shaped.

Blue tack ok for tight spaces. Not nearly as effective as the first two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back