Best Tubes for DAC 60 / DAC 68
Jun 15, 2006 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bluemeteor

New Head-Fier
All:

I was wondering what the best tubes were for the DAC 60 and/or the DAC 68.
I am currently using the Sovtek 6N1P in my PVC modded DAC 60 and have left the JJ Teslas in the DAC 68.

Pacific Valve changes the awful sounding EH 6922 to Sovtek 6922 tube for their modded DAC 60.

Anybody else have any ideas or thoughts?

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 18
I can't be of any help since I don't yet own a DAC-60, but I would love to hear some of your impressions when you've had a chance to roll a few more tubes in your modded version bluemeteor.
cool.gif

EDIT: I am surprised that you rate the stock tubes as 'awful' though. Are they really that bad?

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 18
I've used the DAC60 for about 3 months now. I've tried Mullards, Amprex A-frames, Telefunkens, to name a few. I favorite is a pair of Amprex 7308's (PQ's if possible, but the orange globe ones are pretty good also).

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for your input nhtran1, I'd be really keen to hear your impressions of the DAC-60 if you want to volunteer them.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 18
I bought mine through GR Research. My dac is stock except for the nos tubes. Prior to the lite audio dac, I had a Heart CD6000 tubed player (which died on me). If you're looking for the traditional tube sound (think dynaco amps, i.e. rolled off highs, tubey) you should consider the Heart or the Tjoeb cd players. The dac60 seems alot faster, more extended at the frequency extremes, with a touch of tube warmth/color in the mid range. It also does a better job with loud, complex music passages. I do miss the transient attack of the Heart. For example, you can feel the impact of a plucked acoustic guitar. The effect was awesome.

Build quality is generally pretty good. However, if you do get one make sure you open it up to check the dac chip and board. I was originally sent a dac 72 board (which uses the BB pcm1702 chip, instead of the pcm1704k). A quick call to GR Research and a new correct board was shipped from Hong Kong. I've also heard people claim that they received dacs with the regular pcm1704 chip not the "k" version.

Overall it's a pretty good sounding unit for the money. I just received a mdht lab renaissance II dac and will do a comparison after I get some WE396a tubes.

nhtran1

Jun 20, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 18
Sounds like the DAC60 is a good all-rounder which is what I'm after. I'd be pairing it with a Darkvoice tube amp so I don't really want a source that is too 'tubey'.
I'll be curious to hear your impressions with the Renaissance DAC though when you get around to it.

I'm planning on buying the DAC60 from www.diykits.com.hk, and they've told me that if I break the seal the unit ships with the warranty becomes invalidated - makes it pretty hard to change tubes or check the board!
Still, they are significantly cheaper than GR Research and being in Australia an American warranty does me little more good than a Hong Kong one does.

Thanks for offering some your impressions nhtran1.

Jun 22, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 18
I put in my order for a DAC60 today.
biggrin.gif

I will post impressions and pics when it arrives!

Jul 10, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #9 of 18
So have you tried the Sovtek 6N1P yet bluemeteor?

I received my DAC60 awhile ago but am waiting on my Darkvoice amp before posting a review of both.

I can say so far that it's a very smooth, non-fatiguing source.
wink.gif

Haven't got around to tuberolling yet but I have several pairs of 6922's due in the mail this week so it will be intersting to see how the DAC responds to different tubes.

Jul 11, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 18
To date, I seem to have reached the law of diminishing returns in improving the sound of my systemof which I really like the sound on but would appreciate your best rough guess if the Modified DAC 60 will noticeably improve my sound. By improving sound, I mean making badly recorded CDs sound better as well as making good CDs sound great. I play mainly 60/70's remastered blues & rock CDs on my Pioneer PD-59 CD player which is connected to my Denon 3801 A/V Receiver which is connected my my Orb Audio speaker system. I don't listen on headphones at all. Do you think this is worth me buying? If not, what DAC would you get at Pacific Valve? Thanks

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 18
Of all the great talk about the DAC 60, having had it and the Pacific Valve modified one I can speak to both.

When I compared the two, the stock DAC 60 sounded constricted in dynamics and somewhat harsh on the high end. The PVC mod, opens up the high end quite a bit and lifts a veil. Dynamics are restored as well as snap. The low end is also extended.

I was going to try my 6N1P tubes, but, alas, they are with a friend. For the short time I had them, they seem to make the entire high end sweeter and give more warmth to the sound.

Jul 11, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershon2000
To date, I seem to have reached the law of diminishing returns in improving the sound of my systemof which I really like the sound on but would appreciate your best rough guess if the Modified DAC 60 will noticeably improve my sound. By improving sound, I mean making badly recorded CDs sound better as well as making good CDs sound great. I play mainly 60/70's remastered blues & rock CDs on my Pioneer PD-59 CD player which is connected to my Denon 3801 A/V Receiver which is connected my my Orb Audio speaker system. I don't listen on headphones at all. Do you think this is worth me buying? If not, what DAC would you get at Pacific Valve? Thanks

One more thing. If you want bad CD s to sound better, and can aford it - I would get the DAC 68 - then get the best 6922 that money can buy or try the 6N1P.

The DAC 68 is the smoothest on the highs. Once it warms up, it opens up the sound stage. It does sound like a good SET amp - so expect poilte rolled off highs, warm ultra detailed mids and a somewhat softer bass. This is not the DAC for rock music, although.....

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemeteor
This is not the DAC for rock music, although.....

Which Lite DAC would be the best overall bet for all types of genres? Do I look solid state like the DAC 38?

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemeteor
Pacific Valve changes the awful sounding EH 6922 to Sovtek 6922 tube for their modded DAC 60.

now that's an unusual statement!

i was under the impression that the EH 6922s were simply selected and relabeled sovteks. i have had a look at them and their internal structure is definitely identical.

Jul 12, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 18
I must be crazy because I can hear the difference. - I am also not saying that you are wrong. The only thing that I can think of is that the tubes originally supplied by Lite must be a lower grade 6922. That is probably why PVC swaps them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back