best tube for the Stax SRM T1??
May 25, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
$4k base.. and you can't buy base.. max it out! $10k only!
evil_smiley.gif

You're an evil, evil man.

Nevertheless I agree with you.

May 25, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stax-i-nox
Looks good but where do they sell them, or who sells them?

Thanks,

Stad-i-nox

www.singlepower.com They sell directly.

It's a bloody expensive amp, but if you do get one, you'll be sorted for a very long time.

May 25, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Carl, how do you like it....how does it compare to an old Stax am like the srt t1?

Well it's not an amp, it's a transformer for connecting electrostatics to a power amp. And I haven't received it yet, so no comments on how good it is or is not yet. Basically I bought it blind.

May 25, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #22 of 42
You really need a better amp then the T1. Comparing the T1 to the Blue Hawaii the T1 is very soft sounding with a huge midbass hump and limited detail. Tube rolling helps and changing the rca jacks and input wiring did wonders but it is still much worse then the Blue Hawaii.

I've tried a few different brands of tubes and I'm running GE's now and they are ok, do nothing wrong but I'm still running them in. I didn't like the RCA cleartops, they were to artificially sounding. Rumor has it that the Japanese tubes are the best but I haven't tried them. You will have to bias new tubes and I can send you the instructions if you want. You need a voltmeter, a small flathead screwdriver and a lot of patience.

The Sigma’s need a lot of voltage to get going and the T1 just hasn't got the juice for it.

May 25, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I think Singlepower can tweak the amplifier to get the maximum performance out of your Omega I's..

Probably not the best of the ideas, since Omegas have been out of production for a while now and Stax has very little, if any, replacement parts left. For example, if they end up needing diaphragm(s) repalced or repaired, Stax will now use the ones used in Omega 2's, since they no longer have Omega diaphragms, making the repaired earspeakers sound like Omega 2's.

May 25, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Probably not the best of the ideas, since Omegas have been out of production for a while now and Stax has very little, if any, replacement parts left. For example, if they end up needing diaphragm(s) repalced or repaired, Stax will now use the ones used in Omega 2's, since they no longer have Omega diaphragms, making the repaired earspeakers sound like Omega 2's.

This is true, but that's not to say that a lot of Omega 1s still don't have years of trouble free service ahead of them.

May 25, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts

Oops! Thanks man, forgot about that.

May 25, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Hi, new here to Head-HiFi...glad I found it!...........question for any of the vintage Stax folks out there...I have a 1987 B series SRM T1 that has the same tubes in it since it was built!...still works fine, but am wondering to if a tube roll would be in order.........the original's are a pair of GE's........can anyone recommend the best sounding tube for the T1? Also, do I have to worry about biasing them if I change them out...I don't have any equiptment for that btw.

Also, have been reading the forums here about the SRM-1 MKII and how the older C series is better...after I read that, I ran and unpacked mine...alas, it's a B series...I did try the 220V change, as I had a 500W transformer I had left over from living in Europe...and it did help the sound!...I am using a 87' vintage Lambda Signature Pro and an Omega I headset. Is there someone out there that can do a mod for the SRM-1? I also tried the 220V on the SRM T1, and it seemed to help the sound on that as well?

Am a Stax nut as you can tell...as I also have a pair of Gamma Pro's and Sigma Pro's....question...my Gamma Pro's head set broke, it's the thing that holds the earspeaker, it just cracked...anyone know of where to get a replacement? Also, any SIGMA PRO owners out there....why is the sound on my SIGMA PRO not near as clear sounding as the Signature or even the Omega?...I know the Omega was the top of the line at that time as were the Signatures. When I play the Sigma's , they have a very veiled sound, the highs are just not the same compared to the Sig's and the Omega I.

Anyway, glad to be here and look forward to more reading etc. and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Stax-i-nox
smily_headphones1.gif

Regarding the SRM1 Mk2 - it could possibly be improved by new RCA connectors and better internal wiring. Stax themselves added a better stepped volume control for the IRT version of this amp, but you had to balance the phones using the potentiometer inside the amp. Apparently the C series has better parts. These amps sound very nice (I have an A series, so yours should sound even better) and have more ouput voltage (I am not talking about biasing voltage) than the SRM T1 (370V vs 300V). The SRM-717 has more power still (450V) and sounds great with a Lambda Nova Signature. Lots of people bag the old Stax amps, but they still sound very nice after all these years. If you want to spend lots more, then go for the amps mentioned above (I haven't heard these - it's difficult to hear these in the most isolated city on the planet!!)
With respect to a Sigma, have a look at the comparison I did and see if this sounds like yours...
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=stax
Sigmas sound better turned up loud. Use the SRM1 Mk 2: the SRM T1 doesn't have quite enough power for them to shine.

May 25, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #27 of 42
John et al, thanks for your insights! I agree with your assesment of the Sigma. I am finding that running the Sigma Pro's through the SRM-1 MKII is slightly better thant the T1...although when I switch between the Sigma Pro's and the Omega 1's, the Omega has them beat...it's the loss of the treble that bothers me so much, and with that, the loss of realism....there is a more natural feeling the Omega's....the Omega's do have a less 'in your face' kind of presentation, which is different thant the Sigma or the Signature. That being said, I am probably not hearing what both of these phones can do given the old Stax amps I have.....I am tempted to try one of the other brands, but the pocket book is not cooperating!
smily_headphones1.gif
Also brought out my Stax Signature Lambdas...and I am liking the sound of those through the SRM-1 MKII instead of the T1...espeically running the SRM-1 with 220V!!

Tech question,,,,,my Signature Lambda's right side electrostaic panel is slightly loose...I opened it up last night and it looks like after almost 20 years, the glue that held the panel to the frame dried out..it works fine...what would you suggest I use to glue back the panel to the frame? I don't want to use the wrong glue.

Thanks,

Stax-i-nox

May 26, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #28 of 42
Your Stax agent should be able to supply you with the correct 2 sided tape I suspect is used for these. Should make a big difference to the sound - if the seal is not air-tight, there may be some bass cancellation. It should be an easy DIY if you have already opened the cans!
I agree with you about the treble loss - I thought my pair were broken when I first got them from my father, but that's what they sound like. Edstrelow has had 404 parts transplanted into his Sigma with good results and I am considering this pathway. I want to hear the Omega 2 first however. Sigmas are much more comfortable for my boof head than the Lambda Nova Signatures and if you give yourself some time to acclimatise to the sound, Sigmas can be a very non-fatiguing listen, bith physically and aurally. Vocals, in particular, are superb on the Sigmas.
If you are thinking of disposing of the Sigma Pros, please drop me a PM - it may save me sacrificing a Lambda Nova Signature to upgrade the Sigma non-pros I have.

May 26, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #29 of 42
Thanks John...will be getting the exact fit double sided tape for the Signatures....Will do on Sigma Pro's.....I probably will keep them, but will let you know is case I don't. The idea of upgrading the panels sounds like a good one.

more later........

Stax-i-nox

May 29, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #30 of 42
I just opened my other 117 V SRM T1....unusual tubes I found in there...2 Aero Gold's...printed on the bottle was "high quality" and " made for the Signature"

Interesting....Stax must have had an agreement with Aero Gold? Any other SRM T1 owners out there with these tubes?

Has anyone tried tube sox for these amps? I have a pair and tried them, and they seem to have made a difference in the sound..also, a better power cord made a good improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back