Best Tube Amp under $150?
Mar 8, 2016 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NickyaKillah

Head-Fier
Hi again Head-Fiers,

I've come to ask a question I find difficult to answer myself. That question is, What is the best tube-style headphone amplifier under $150? I've done some research, and have found no real concrete answers. Hoping someone here could help. I listen to all types of music. Limitations listed below. And thank you for your time in advance.

Limits:
-Under or around $150, no higher than $170
-Don't care how many tubes, at least 2 would be preferred, but 1 is Okay.
-I wouldn't mind Hybrids. Haven't done much research on them though, so unsure of their qualities
-Desktop-style much preferred, but it wouldn't be out of the question for the unit to be mobile.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 13
Maybe the Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier ($120).

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 13
Best?  What are you going to run with it?  Different amps are designed with different headphones in mind.  

Why does it need to have 2 tubes?  Many tubes have 2 triodes/sections and are designed to run 2 channels through one tube.  

Hybrid tube amps generally can have more power and a lower output impedance than all tube OTL (output transformerless) amps like the Valhalla 2.  Hybrids combine both tubes and solid state amplification, like the Schiit Vali 2.  

Your post pretty much says Vali 2 to me, at $170, 1 tube, hybrid, and designed to look and sound stunning on a desk LOL. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 13
Best?  What are you going to run with it?  Different amps are designed with different headphones in mind.  

Why does it need to have 2 tubes?  Many tubes have 2 triodes/sections and are designed to run 2 channels through one tube.  

Hybrid tube amps generally can have more power and a lower output impedance than all tube OTL (output transformerless) amps like the Valhalla 2.  Hybrids combine both tubes and solid state amplification, like the Schiit Vali 2.  

Your post pretty much says Vali 2 to me, at $170, 1 tube, hybrid, and designed to look and sound stunning on a desk LOL. 

1. Apologies for that, AKG Q701
2. I don't know much about amps, I thought they'd work like a computer, where having more tubes would be like having more processing cores and allow for less stress on the individual tubes.
3. Know anywhere I can get the Vali 2 besides Schiit's site?

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 13
Amazon has their products too but not really different in price. The Schiit rep informed me that many people like tube amps with the AKG headphones so I got the Vali 2. In my case it will be the K7XX which is supposed to be similar to yours.

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyaKillah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the best tube-style headphone amplifier under $150? 
Limits:
-Under or around $150, no higher than $170
-Don't care how many tubes, at least 2 would be preferred, but 1 is Okay.
-I wouldn't mind Hybrids. Haven't done much research on them though, so unsure of their qualities
-Desktop-style much preferred, but it wouldn't be out of the question for the unit to be mobile.

The Pangea HP101 is now $100 on Amazon. Bonus - its USB DAC works with my Note3 on USB OTG.

It uses a single 12AX7 but afaik that tube type is basically two of another type built into one unit, so technically it's two tubes, but more convenient. Tube rolling isn't something you can easily do here as  the tube position and soldering aren't made for such. That said the Shuguang tube it comes with isn't that bad, I haven't really had the jones to try a spare, new (reissue) Mullard 12AX7 I have lying around in it, but at least if the stock tube dies on me I have a replacement lying around.

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 13

+1 Yes.

Have the Vali 2 and AKG K7XX, very impressive little amp and very good with the K7XX. At some point you can explore upgrading the stock tube.

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 13
Amazon has their products too but not really different in price. The Schiit rep informed me that many people like tube amps with the AKG headphones so I got the Vali 2. In my case it will be the K7XX which is supposed to be similar to yours.

Yeah thats why I wanted tubed, because the highs are a little touchy without tubes. Also, the K7xx is actually the k702 65th anniversary edition MIC, but very close to mine besides earpads.

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 13
  +1 Yes.

Have the Vali 2 and AKG K7XX, very impressive little amp and very good with the K7XX. At some point you can explore upgrading the stock tube.

I already got a used Amperex "Bugle Boy" 6DJ8 on eBay.  It's okay but I think the stock tube is actually better sounding.  I also have an Amperex Orange Label that I got pretty cheap and an RCA/Mullard on the way.  So that's probably a good group to start out with.  

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 13
Bugle Boys cover a wide category when you consider the variations over the years, and then you also have quality variation in every batch. Have some really good ones and some ordinary ones.

I would continue to burn and watch how they develop. Sometimes a tube is good or great right out of the gate. Sometimes it won't show it's full potential for 20, or maybe 50+ hrs. My own preference is to listen and enjoy right away, but most of the time, something is missing, annoying or disappointing. A continuous burn for minimum 24 hrs. will transform a lot of tubes, or at least show some positive development.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 13
I will have to give that a try. The orange label Amperex is the one I'm really excited to listen to when it gets here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back