Best Tube amp from 300-500$?
Mar 1, 2010 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

debitsohn

Headphoneus Supremus
Searched but nothing really comes up in this mid fi price range.

obviously the WA3 has been a target of mine. i can thank my wife for taking forever at the grocery market so i missed bidding on one that ended today.

are there any other as highly regarded as the WA3 in this price range?

will power a t1.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 18
I'll throw out the Music Fidelity X-can V8p... for $400ish it is a great amp and drives low impedance cans quite nicely. I don't know how it compares to the WA3 personally, but just thought I'd mention it as an option, since I'm so happy with mine.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the t1 is 600ohms. but im sure its pretty good. i remember seeing it mentioned here and there.

Sorry I missed the T1 part at the end.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 18
I read and asked a lot once I've been choosing an amp for HD650. At the end I got WA3. It is a nice amp but now I prefer SOHA II (hybrid amp) over it. I doubt you will find SOHA II for $500, but there are some other hybrids available, like Head-Direct EF1 and EF5.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 18
hm i thought i read somewhere about the subpar build quality of the EF5 or some issue people were having with it. what makes a hybrid better than a tube? sorry im pretty new to the game and never looked into hybrid amps. i went straight to tube.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJnK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll throw out the Music Fidelity X-can V8p... for $400ish it is a great amp and drives low impedance cans quite nicely. I don't know how it compares to the WA3 personally, but just thought I'd mention it as an option, since I'm so happy with mine.

Is this amp still in production? I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere. Or maybe I'm just an idiot.
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what makes a hybrid better than a tube?

• SOHA II has better bass comparing to WA3 - bigger, deeper and better controlled at the same time. I upgraded my WA3 with Blackgate output coupling caps, but this did not help a lot. Other than bass, these two amps are on par.
  • Hybrid amps are more versatile than OTL tube amps, driving both high and low impedance cans. Being transformer coupled amp, WA6 is another story.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 18
Hi,

For an OTL Headphone amp, my choice goes with the following:

ANTIQUE SOUNDLAB

I own one I use with my Senn HD424 & HD800.....just need to change the tubes and you're in business...

It's an hybrid amp driving both high and low impedance cans.

Denys

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  • SOHA II has better bass comparing to WA3 - bigger, deeper and better controlled at the same time. I upgraded my WA3 with Blackgate output coupling caps, but this did not help a lot. Other than bass, these two amps are on par.
  • Hybrid amps are more versatile than OTL tube amps, driving both high and low impedance cans. Being transformer coupled amp, WA6 is another story.

hmm. maybe ill try a hybrid in the near future. i wish i could listen to one b4 i take the leap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back