Best Tube Amp for HD800 under $1300?
Mar 25, 2013 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

canumbra

New Head-Fier
I am searching for a good tube amp for my new HD800 under my budget: $1300. Based on some research, there are  a few options in the current marketplace in this price range. I am particularly interested in the followings:

- Wooaudio's WA2
- Wooaudio's WA6-SE
- Analog Design Lab's Svetlana 2
- Eddie Current Super 7 (though it is over $1600)

Can I get an advice to choose the best among those? (Or any other options?) If there are someone who have used many of the above, I would like to hear pros and cons of each amp. 

Thanks in advance.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I am searching for a good tube amp for my new HD800 under my budget: $1300. Based on some research, there are  a few options in the current marketplace in this price range. I am particularly interested in the followings:

- Wooaudio's WA2
- Wooaudio's WA6-SE
- Analog Design Lab's Svetlana 2
- Eddie Current Super 7 (though it is over $1600)

Can I get an advice to choose the best among those? (Or any other options?) If there are someone who have used many of the above, I would like to hear pros and cons of each amp. 

Thanks in advance.

I get great sound out of the tube hybrid RWA Corvina , now replaced by the Cassabra (SP?)

The RWA Corvina tames the sibilance and edginess of the HD800 perfectly and hasexcellent tightness and impact in the bass.  I also use the Woo WA5-LE: sweeter sound that the RWA Corvina but with some sacrifice in the bass impact. Coincidentally, I get best results with OCC copper cable (Copper Venom from Toxic Cables).

Cheers,

J_T

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 7
Trafomatic Head One.  Can be found used for $1000 or less.

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 7
Woo Audio 2 with the Tung Sol 7236 jack is offering right now, or a pair of 5998's, some RFT EZ80 rectifiers, and some nice 7308's, 2492s, or 6N23P's. 

or a Woo Audio 6SE with Sophia Princess and 6EW7 or 596 with 6GL7 (both available from Jack)

like jc9394 said, it depends on whether you will be driving any low impedance headphones in the future or not. also look into the sounds of the woos.

the WA6-SE will be more SS like and dynamic with a wider soundstage and more details, the WA2 will be fuller and smoother sounding.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 7
I have owned the Woo WA22, which is higher up the food chain than the WA2 or WA6-SE. The Super 7 is a better sounding amp than the 22. It really makes the HD800s sing. The Super 7 tends to get overlooked, IMO, because it is the cheapest amp Eddie Current sells. But it is really world class. I highly recommend it.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for all of your responses. Currently, I have no plan to have different headphones other than HD800. So, you can assume HD800 is the only target headphone. 

Based on the responses, having either Eddie Current Super 7 or Red Wine Audio Cassabria seems a good option in the same price range. Has anyone used Svetlana 2 or Cassabria with HD800? If someone have an experience to be able to compare those two or those with Super 7, I would like to hear more. (Of course, I am always open to other advices)

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back