Best Tr'Hip-hop of the 90's
Feb 23, 2007 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

*645-k701

500+ Head-Fier
The Pharcyde
A Tribe Called Quest
Gang Starr
De La Soul

Sure there is more, but these are the chosen few that done it for me.
wink.gif

Remind me of all the others i forgot to mention.
and get a bacon 'n cheese zinger.. =)

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 31
Which genre are you referring to, Trip-Hop or Hip-Hop?
None of the above are Trip-Hop.

Feb 28, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 31
i don't know if massive attack counts as from the 90's, but i tend to think most of the listed bands are garbagio,
RJD2 is the best of the 90's for me

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussell6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know if massive attack counts as from the 90's, but i tend to think most of the listed bands are garbagio,
RJD2 is the best of the 90's for me

Blue Lines - 1991
Protection - 1995
Mezzanine - 1998

So yea they count as from the 90s lol
tongue.gif
Those three albums are their holy trinity imo.

RJD2 came out with Deadringer in 2002 so doesn't count as part of the 90s.

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 31
Portishead -- Dummy

When i first head this i thought it was beautiful! But unfortunately it subsequently got played to death on every advert, tv program.... A shame, an example of ubiquity ruining a record.

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 31
How about Del Tha Funkee Homosapien (aka Deltron 3000)?

Or: Digable Planets, Camp Lo, and Pete Rock & CL Smooth

Just for kicks: People Under The Stairs - technically, they're not a 90s group per se, but have a listen to one of their albums and you'll swear it was '93 again..........
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as trip-hop goes, I liked Neneh Cherry, Morcheeba, Bonobo, Bjork, Tricky, Portishead, and Esthero (circa Breath From Another).

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmandbluesix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Del Tha Funkee Homosapien (aka Deltron 3000)?

Or: Digable Planets, Camp Lo, and Pete Rock & CL Smooth

Just for kicks: People Under The Stairs - technically, they're not a 90s group per se, but have a listen to one of their albums and you'll swear it was '93 again..........
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as trip-hop goes, I liked Neneh Cherry, Morcheeba, Bonobo, Bjork, Tricky, Portishead, and Esthero (circa Breath From Another).

I had almost forgotten about Esthero. Time to re buy that CD =)

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 31
Tricky anyone? I really liked Mezzanine from Massive Attack, It's the first album that comes to my mind when talking about Trip Hop. But anybody liked Tricky at all?

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 31
To be honest I never had a feel for tricky as a solo artist. He is way to out there. And most of the stuff is boring. Can't stand his voice either. I prefered him when he was with the rest of Massive Attack.

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest I never had a feel for tricky as a solo artist. He is way to out there. And most of the stuff is boring. Can't stand his voice either. I prefered him when he was with the rest of Massive Attack.

It's funny, I didn't even know that Tricky was with Massive Attack. (There's still much to learn for me :p)

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #14 of 31
Tricky worked with Massive Attack on thier "Blue Lines" and "Protection" albums. As well as with on Bjorks "Post" album. I think he's really talented when collaborating on other people's projects.

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blue Lines - 1991
Protection - 1995
Mezzanine - 1998

So yea they count as from the 90s lol
tongue.gif
Those three albums are their holy trinity imo.

RJD2 came out with Deadringer in 2002 so doesn't count as part of the 90s.

haha, good call, i guess i still think i'm in the 90's, for some reason i had the impression that blue lines was earlier than that, i should know, massive is easily most listened to group,

about tricky, yeah, some of his stuff is out there, but i really feel like he's got some gems,,, "broken homes" is my fav. i love the whole "blowback" album, and i really felt like massive lost something when he left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back