Best trance cans period?
Mar 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MyrenJobrah

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of cans for work/gym and home, it doesn't matter if they're huge I truly don't care what people think of it.. I will never compromise on sound quality just because they're big.

From what I've seen I always thought the ultrasone 900's were the best and I can get them for $350 used, but I've done searches and people don't even mention those.. what are the best?

I don't have any specific budget.

I listen to trance, progressive trance, electronic dance music, house, very little dubstep, etc.. I really enjoy the beautiful vocals and the pumpy bass.

FYI, I didn't like the D2K's because the bass wasn't that good.. only was there when they music absolutely needed it.

Thanks

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Ultrasones are tricky to recommend because not everyone hears them the same way. The drivers are angled in a very specific way that doesn't work with the geometry of some ears. Personally I don't care for them, but I see a guy on the subway every few mornings in NYC with Edition 8's. I think he's a member here, we briefly chatted about his amazing little portable rig. 

See if you can hear a well-burned-in pair of Beyerdynamic DT770-80's. The bass on those can be pretty strong, and the upper register is pushed (female voices). The important thing to know about here is that the "good" bass you're talking about is not really what people here consider "good" bass to be. Most of us don't like it to be overpowering to the midrange, and in the quantities you're talking about it will be. 

If price is truly no object and you do want the full spectrum with extremely strong bass (that remains tuneful) you could hunt for a used Grado PS1. Alternatively, you could get a GS1000 or PS1000 and use the small "bowl" pads with them. That will emphasize the bass. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 8
I have some 900s and I listen to 90% trance. They destroy. I use them as portables as well, but i don't think i'd work out with them
redface.gif
(unless you don't care about sweaty pads). Anyways, 3 things i'd recommend:
1. Some 900s.
2: Get a portable amp (ie: digizoid zo2, fiio e17). Will help you in the bass department, no doubts there. Do some research here. I have an e7 but i think there's better out there.
Also if you're using an ipod/iphone as your source get this also.
3: The stock cable is rather long, so for gym/portable use I'd recommend their shorter cable.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Ultrasones are tricky to recommend because not everyone hears them the same way. The drivers are angled in a very specific way that doesn't work with the geometry of some ears. Personally I don't care for them, but I see a guy on the subway every few mornings in NYC with Edition 8's. I think he's a member here, we briefly chatted about his amazing little portable rig. 

See if you can hear a well-burned-in pair of Beyerdynamic DT770-80's. The bass on those can be pretty strong, and the upper register is pushed (female voices). The important thing to know about here is that the "good" bass you're talking about is not really what people here consider "good" bass to be. Most of us don't like it to be overpowering to the midrange, and in the quantities you're talking about it will be. 

If price is truly no object and you do want the full spectrum with extremely strong bass (that remains tuneful) you could hunt for a used Grado PS1. Alternatively, you could get a GS1000 or PS1000 and use the small "bowl" pads with them. That will emphasize the bass. 

Ahh my upper budget was $400 lol. I understand about the bass but on many songs it feels nonexistent. Regardless, as long as the normal bass is good I can live with that.

Quote:
I have some 900s and I listen to 90% trance. They destroy. I use them as portables as well, but i don't think i'd work out with them
redface.gif
(unless you don't care about sweaty pads). Anyways, 3 things i'd recommend:
1. Some 900s.
2: Get a portable amp (ie: digizoid zo2, fiio e17). Will help you in the bass department, no doubts there. Do some research here. I have an e7 but i think there's better out there.
Also if you're using an ipod/iphone as your source get this also.
3: The stock cable is rather long, so for gym/portable use I'd recommend their shorter cable.

I wouldn't use them for cardio, just lifting.. I don't sweat that much during lifting.

1) I can find some 900's for $365 used.. hopefully that's a good idea, from amazon. Have no history on the headphone usage.
2) is an amp really needed for the ultrasones? I will be using them at my computer as well as on my iphone.. and my computer has no soundcard, I'd be plugging into the motherboard. 
3) Good idea

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 8
The Ultrasone Pro 900s are amazing with trance and electronica in general, no argument there. They just have such bass authority that's sometimes hard to believe, and that doesn't mean they're bloated at all, quite the contrary. But don't misunderstand and think they sacrifice sound quality for bass alone, they have a very clear sound, just that they also have a very good bass presence. They don't need an amp but do benefit from one. But don't think of using cheap amps like FiiO E5 or E6, go at least for something like a PA2V2 or a FiiO E11. And since you're just using an onboard audio chip on your computer, going with something like the FiiO E17 would be a good idea as it is both a USB DAC and a headphone amp, allowing you to use it as a soundcard when stationary and as an amp when on the go.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
The Ultrasone Pro 900s are amazing with trance and electronica in general, no argument there. They just have such bass authority that's sometimes hard to believe, and that doesn't mean they're bloated at all, quite the contrary. But don't misunderstand and think they sacrifice sound quality for bass alone, they have a very clear sound, just that they also have a very good bass presence. They don't need an amp but do benefit from one. But don't think of using cheap amps like FiiO E5 or E6, go at least for something like a PA2V2 or a FiiO E11. And since you're just using an onboard audio chip on your computer, going with something like the FiiO E17 would be a good idea as it is both a USB DAC and a headphone amp, allowing you to use it as a soundcard when stationary and as an amp when on the go.

Would you say they're the best in their price range though? They sound awesome from what people say.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Would you say they're the best in their price range though? They sound awesome from what people say.

Yes, easily. But I have to agree with Mercuttio in that Ultrasones aren't easy to recommend in the sense that they're rather polarizing, people either love or hate them, mainly because of S-Logic. I'm on the love side, and find them nothing short than amazing. For the price range, I find that there are 2 headphones to be considered, the Ultrasone Pro 900 and the Sony XB1000, but since I prefer a more accurate and hard hitting bass, the Pro 900 are the logical option for me.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Heh, around here, it's good to set a specific budget. 

For bass though... are you looking for headphones that are going to give you that specific vibrated feeling in your gut? Unfortunately, headphones just can't do that. 

Quote:
Ahh my upper budget was $400 lol. I understand about the bass but on many songs it feels nonexistent. Regardless, as long as the normal bass is good I can live with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back