Best system for under $400.
Feb 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wiinippongamer

Head-Fier
Hey all, I have a grand limit of $400 to spend on a headphone system, I just want the best i can get for that money. 

I've been looking at the HD600,K701,SRH940 to use with possibly a Fiio E17, also some electrostats.

I've read  the HD600 require a powerful amp to really hear what they're capable of, HD650 is a bit out of my budget, now if I get the HD600 it'd leave me with less than $100 for the rest of the system, And from what I've read DAC/Amp's combination at that price just won't cut it, while the srh940 is supposed to be much easier to drive and leave me some more headroom for a better DAC/AMP. I could also get the HD600 now and a good DAC/AMP later, but I'd have to wait quite a long time ( 6 months to a year).

I've found on the for sale section Some used Stax lambda's with accompanying amp for under $400, which are supposed to outclass pretty much any dynamic headphone in the market short of monsters like the HD800/beyer T1's. The amp is sufficient to drive them well from what I've read and I can live with the not-so-horrible onboard dac for some more months. 

What would you guys do in my situation?

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

Senn HD600 + Fiio E10

It will do it justice.  Upgrade later. The HD600 will scale.

Alts: DT880 250ohm, AD900, FA-002, HE-400.

The sub-$400 Lambda's with amp are not going to outclass dynamics. You have to actually like the stat sound to say that. It's not for everyone.

Very best,

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 7
I really enjoyed starting out with with LDMKIII + sr80i.

Though agree with malvauex. If you are on a budget - rather than buy average headphones and average amp buy a good headphone like k70x hd650 hd600 and get a cheaper amp - fiio, ldmkii.

$300 headphones will scale up when improving amp and source and not as prone to upgrading.

i found myself upgrading the sr80i for k702 leaving the ldmkiii needing upgrading! 

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 7
Go for the O2 DAC/AMP combo when the design is finished. For the time being you can put the seperate DAC board into the amp enclosure replacing the batteries. I am not sure if anyone sells it prebuilt yet. Then you have the best in source component, and can scale to any headphone in the future.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 7
I'd really try to stretch and get HE-500 (used) if you will get some decent money later to upgrade amp and source. The HE-500 brings price/performance to high end, which is truly rare in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back