Best System ~$500?
Aug 26, 2006 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

david1219

New Head-Fier
What would you say the best system is for around $500? I am planning on using a macbookpro to run everything out of. I listen mainly to rock/indie/alternative rock and I would say instrument seperation, vocals, guitars, and good bass are all important as well as comfort. Would it be best to get a CD3000 and run it straight out of the laptop or should I get an HD650, k701, or some sort of AT or Grado with a good amp? THANKS!

Aug 27, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 13
With the headphones you want, you definitely should consider a headphone amplifier. Although for the specific genre you have listed, i suggest you to get a pair of Grado's, and maybe mate it with a HeadRoom Total BitHead amplifier.

Aug 27, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 13
SR225+ supermini/macro/micro
Geez, thats not biased at all
rolleyes.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Grado 225s and a Gilmore Lite.

Yes! sounds great...out of a sony sacd595, although I can't say much for the source you will be using. Consider maybe a CDP instead of mac (insert unimpressed MacFace here
blink.gif
)

Both of the listed above are GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRReat choices good luck.

Aug 27, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 13
thanks so much for the suggestions! right now i have a pair of hd555 and a pair of sr80. i have to say, i like the 555s much more, theyre more comfortable, and easier to listen to. the grados are just very bright and im not satisfied with the bass. maybe this is because i avent burned them in yet i dunno. is there any way i could get the "fullness" of the senns with the great vocals and guitar of the grados? are there certain grados that do this or is there a specific amp/headphone combo that work? also, would i need to invest a fortune in order to get my moneys worth out of cd3ks or are they a viable option as well?

Aug 27, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #11 of 13
any way to get the "fullness" of the senns on grados? i sort of thought the cd3k would be the best compromise between those two different sound signatures...could i use cd3k with a $200 amp otu of my laptop or is that not gonna work?

Aug 27, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #12 of 13
A tube amp might help get you the fullness you want out of the Grados.

Aug 27, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 13
When listening to music through my laptop, I have found that the DAC in the Total Bithead is the biggest improvement maker I have. if you A/B the amp from the headphone out then through the USB input it is night and day.

I am happy with the Total Bithead, but if you want something more I would make sure you put a DAC at the top of your list of things to get.

If I hadn't won the Total Bithead I would't have ever purchased a DAC thinking that the quality on my MP3 players would be fine but the Total Bithead makes my Laptop sound better than my Iriver or my Iaudio MP3 players.

As my sig states I really don't know anything but from what I have read on here, learned through personal experience and was starting from scratch and had $500 to spend I would spend it as follows:

$200 Total Bithead
$299 AKG K701

Or the Grado SR325i or the Grado/Alessandro MS2 for $299
But that is only if the Grados are comfortable on you, some people say they aren't. For me they are super comfortable with bowls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back