Best synergy with HeadAmp Pico w/ Dac?
Aug 2, 2008 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Illah

1000+ Head-Fier
I already have Senn HD650s and Grado HF-1s, just wondering what others would make a great pairing.

FYI, both are already stunning with the Pico...especially the HD650. Damn near flawless
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD2000

Um...can anyone really take your post seriously without further clarification? What else have you heard with the Pico and AD2000? I personally found the AD2000 to not have particularly good synergy with the Pico compared to other amps. The K701 and HD650 have better synergy with it than the AD2000.

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um...can anyone really take your post seriously without further clarification? What else have you heard with the Pico and AD2000? I personally found the AD2000 to not have particularly good synergy with the Pico compared to other amps. The K701 and HD650 have better synergy with it than the AD2000.

Was this only due to the gain of the Pico, or was there a sound signature miss-match also?

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was this only due to the gain of the Pico, or was there a sound signature miss-match also?

The sonic mismatch is the sole reason I didn't find AD2000/Pico synergy to exist, the low gain setting has nothing to do with it.

I should add though that the AD2000 isn't really that amp-dependent, it sounds good with anything. But like other ATs I've heard, it takes on something new with the right amp - and the Pico isn't one of those.

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure. I can clarify, and ask you to clarify a bit, too. Glad you asked, actually, since I've been thinking about what you asked:

I used it with the HD650 for about a month, and it was decent. But I was spoiled, having downgraded from HR Desktop Balanced + APS cable. Imaging was fuzzier, and bass was not nearly as controlled or powerful. Obviously to be expected. I found that when I plugged the 650 into a stereo receiver, with my full-size DAC, the soundstage was noticeably larger, and the bass rivaled that of the Pico. I think that the AD2000 sounds better out of the Pico than did the HD650. But here is where I need clarification on your part. Perhaps personal taste, but I think it possibly could be that the AD2k is just a better headphone. Are you saying that the K701 and 650 are better/equal headphones to the AD2k AND have better synergy with the Pico, or are you saying that they are inferior to the AD2k, but have better synergy. I personally would choose worse synergy with a better headphone (especially if I prefer that headphone's signature). Still, the 650 was nice out of the Pico, and I would recommend the pairing. But, I prefer the AD2k, so I chose that one (by a wide margin, actually). At some point, I'd like to back up the AD2k with a better amp. The bottom line for me is that, to my ears, the AD2k trashed the HD650 out of the Pico, even if the synergy was not optimal (as you assert).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back