BEST. SUPERBOWL. HALFTIME. SHOW. EVER!
Feb 2, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #16 of 36
The whole sliding crotch first into the camera thing was cheesy.

Seeing Conan O'Brien's drummer sidekick (yes I know he is an original E-Streeter) seemed a bit weird too.

And I thought fo sure The Boss would have done 'Born In the USA' to work that crowd into a frenzy.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #18 of 36
Hey, wasn't that Silvio Dante singing with Bruce? I thought even a pudgy, but still energetic and crowd-pleasing Bruce (I've been a fan since 1973, first time I saw the E Streeters) was great, and so was the E Street Band. They may be old, but they have plenty of fire.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 36
Eh, I'm not the biggest Springsteen fan. I haven't seen a Super Bowl halftime show that I've liked probably ever. This was much better than usual, but still not as good as the halftime shows we've gotten at the Orange Bowl in the past two years (ZZ Top, then Doobie Brothers). They really pick a great halftime show there.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #20 of 36
Janet Jackson was more exciting out of the 3
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, SPRINGSTEEN ROCKS!!! This halftime show completely rules!

Really? I thought it was godawful. "Put down your chicken wings, it's time to ROCK, american style!"

Good christ. If I had access to a gun I probably would have shot myself in the face.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Janet Jackson was more exciting out of the 3
evil_smiley.gif

Uhh, I think we were speaking musically though...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I thought it was godawful. "Put down your chicken wings, it's time to ROCK, american style!"

Good christ. If I had access to a gun I probably would have shot myself in the face.

What would you have rathered? Up With People?!?
very_evil_smiley.gif

YouTube - Up With People UWP SuperBowl XVI 16 Halftime82 StevenOchoa3.com

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #26 of 36
Gotta disagree hardcore about Germania's Prince comment and I'm not that big a fan of Prince.

Springsteen is too cheesy and cornball sometimes. He's about two clicks away from being Vegas Elvis... I thought tonight he looked tired and old and cliche. Two of the four songs he did everyone and I mean everyone knew he'd play. I guess for my part it doesn't help that I think Glory Days is the worst song he's ever done including Mary Queen Of Arkansas. I've listened to his new one four or five times and it might start to grow on me but I will never think Working On A Dream is anything but the garbage it is. Worst song on the album in my opinion. Opening with Tenth Ave. was a nice surprise but otherwise...meh.

I remember reading a negative review about Born To Run (at least I think it was, it was an early album for sure) and the author said "I wish he'd play more rock and less role." For some reason I kept thinking about that while I watched the show tonight.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #28 of 36
X2. Despite his paunch, he still managed to contort himself pretty well. And whatever you think of him, the E-Street band can still cook. Have to be honest, though, I am not thinking much of his last 2-3 CDs. Maybe his time has passed, but his heart is in the right place. Getting old and having kids can do that to you, unless you are Mick.

I'll just try to remember the skinny kid from Jersey, circa 1973-80.

All in all, though, the first two signature songs were fun to watch.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreCowbell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Springsteen is too cheesy and cornball sometimes. He's about two clicks away from being Vegas Elvis...

If it wasn't for Born in the USA, we'd be saying "Bruce who?".

I can't stand Bruce, but I give a hats off to the E-street band. They carried it. Bruce's tortured voice I could have done without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back