Best Suitable Headphone Amp for Grado SR 225
Dec 18, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #32 of 40
Update: just picked up my 225's, and after a night of listening, decided to put off the headamp
biggrin.gif
It was good enough through my Marantz CD80's output, and incredible with the Marantz feeding a DAC-AH and my NAD304 powering the 225's. It not only goes louder than my AKG K66, but more importantly it stages better. I thought I'd need an amp because the "Left-Center-Right with nothing in-between" staging of the 304 and K66 was exclusively due to the NAD's primary design as a speaker amp (ie, higher channel separation) and I needed more crosstalk. Surprise, surprise, the Grados were fantastic.

Also tried it with my CMOY and Fiio E3 and it still workd great, though the main system is still best (no doubt because of the DAC). Will try it with my HLLY USB Soundcard later.

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #34 of 40
ALO RX amp sound great with my GS1000.
And Hornet too, all depend of the source.

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #35 of 40
I owned the 225is and amped them with a stock D10. It was far better than the iPod headphone out, but for me the sig was just too bright. When the HF2s were announced, I decided to make the plunge. I later bought an EC/SS for my HF2s and absolutely love it. Wish I still had the 225s to try it out. After living with each at different times, I suspect that the pairing would be excellent. Reflecting on the D10s and 225is, the match was not a great one for me.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #36 of 40
Update again: Grados might have a sound signature but they're still revealing at the micro level. HLLY USB DAC (the first one with the black chassis) still better than the Vaio's, but not just in resolution. With the Grados the HLLY really sound more musical and involving than the laptop. OK, definitely not the DAC-AH or CD80, but getting there. If the Vaio's stock soundcard was great for IEMs and just good enough for cans, the Grado reveals how much better the HLLY is, despite what people say about hte BB chip in it. And just to see if it's just the driving power, I compared to the laptop with the CMOY, and the HLLY is really jsut smoother and musical. CMOY has a lot of impact though.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #38 of 40
I find the SR-225i and SR-325is sound great out of a PHENIX G3 with 6H23N tubes. Really smooth sound with this pairing, and more bass.

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #40 of 40
My SR125 sounds great with both my iBasso D10 and Beresford TC-7520 DAC/AMP. There's great synergy between Grado/Beresford imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back