BEST SUBWOOFER FOR AUDIOENGINE 2?
Dec 21, 2011 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

inasafeplace

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I recently got new computer speakers, the A2. They run on my 2496 M-Audio soundcard. Any recommendation? I haven't read great reviews about the Audioengine S8 so I'm looking for alternatives. What would you guys do if you were me? I'm not willing to spend more the 350$ that the S8 cost.

ANy recommendations?

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 8
Also please note that I'm not really used to have speakers. This is the first time I ever have any on my computer. I have AD900 also and currently I need to go unplug behind the computer and switch everytime I want to change from speakers to headphones. Anyone have advices?

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 8
I have a pair, and I also have a BIC V1020 sub. They are similarly priced (the sub being $50 cheaper) and the sound really good together, although I listen to a lot of bass music so I like it when it shakes the walls. They connect through a simple coax cable and you adjust the volume of the monitors and the sub indepently through their respective volume knobs.

Definitely a good combo, recommend it.

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the reply. Subwoofer doesnt have to shake the walls. Thge speakers are very clear and have a good definition overall, but the lack of middbass makes them quite lacking when playing dubstep of any type of electronic music. They especially performing when playing SIgur Ros or other mellow music. The most neutral and clear bass is more for me than the heavy one.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 8
If money isn't that much of a concern for you, I think the AS8 won't be a bad option for the A2.  I say this because I had the AS8 for a few weeks with my current A5 and it sounded pretty good.  If I had to be very nit picky, the bass from the AS8 could've been tighter, but overall, it wasn't too bad.  But I did end up replacing the AS8 with the HSU STF-1, which I have to admit does sound much better (the bass is far tighter and it just sounds amazing).  The main reason I replaced the AS8 with the STF-1 is because I felt that the AS8 wasn't worth the price for its sound quality, since the STF-1 can be bought for the same price but sounds much better.  However, in your situation, I think the AS8 may be a great option because the AS8 easily connects to the A2.  I don't think the STF-1 will connect with the A2.  If it does, then I think you'll have to jump through some hoops to do so.  I say this because even connecting the A5 to the STF-1 wasn't as easy as you'd think.  I had to purchase a custom made cable from HSU to connect them because the STF-1 has a mono sub input, not a stereo input (so I had to buy a special custom cable from HSU that sums up stereo to mono. Using a Y cable won't be as good because that would split the sound, not sum it up, though the difference in audio quality may be unnoticeable because bass is for the most part unlocalizable). 

Anywaaaay, getting back to the point, I think the AS8 will save you a great deal of research and it sounds pretty good.  The main issue I see with buying another subwoofer for the A2 is the connection problem that I'm sure you'll face, since the A2's don't have a sub out.  But kudos to you if you can find a way to connect them to a sub that's far superior to the AS8 for a much cheaper price!

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks a lot for the reply. Also, how can I switch from headphones to speakers without unplugging in the back each time?

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
how can I switch from headphones to speakers without unplugging in the back each time?

do a search on 'headphone splitter' and see if any of the units that pop up will serve your needs (eg. from amazon, radio shack, target, walmart, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back