Best substitue for RA-1's OPAMP
Apr 11, 2009 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ansh

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I need some help finding the RA-1's opamp
It's hard to find the original one , I couldn't see them on online shops ...
Is there any other good OPAMP's I could use on it so it could sound similar or even better?
Or else, can anyone tell me where I can get one(or even the diy set of RA-1, I've gone through some websites mentioned but them seem to have ran out ot stock of the kits)?
(I don't live in America so I might need oversea shipping)

I am a beginner in DIYing, so I decided to start with making an RA-1

Really need your help, thanks a lot
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 8
This is a hot topic here, as the RA-1 had been cloned and ripped many times, it is proprietary desing of Grado labs, and this kind of questions are sometimes not well received by our community, but the short answer yes you can find many other substitutes, now the general consesus is that this OPamp was choosen for the particular synergy with their headphones, and it has an especial value in that regard. It is cheap, there are others with better specs, but they will not sound as good with the Grado heapdhones, it seems that the old Grado family did the homework very well while choosing it...
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, actually I just started my DIY journey with the RA-1 just because I think I can handle it...
I don't really posses a Grado headphone( though I may buy one in the short future)
So I guess that means I don't need to be so serious at the original opamp its using if I am using it with another headphone?

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ansh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, actually I just started my DIY journey with the RA-1 just because I think I can handle it...
I don't really posses a Grado headphone( though I may buy one in the short future)
So I guess that means I don't need to be so serious at the original opamp its using if I am using it with another headphone?

If you are not going to use a Grado headphone, just look for a C-Moy amp, that is easier to build, and probably will sound better than the OPamp that is on the RA-1...

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 8
Well I read some posts talking about the Grado RA-1 and it seems that what actually matters are those big capacitors(I don't know if I got the name right
confused_face.gif
) and the OPAMP...
I somehow couldn't find those capacitors on the Cmoy AMP , does it matter a lot if those are missing?

Apr 12, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ansh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I read some posts talking about the Grado RA-1 and it seems that what actually matters are those big capacitors(I don't know if I got the name right
confused_face.gif
) and the OPAMP...
I somehow couldn't find those capacitors on the Cmoy AMP , does it matter a lot if those are missing?

cmoy is very reputable designer, if they are not there, you do no need them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back