Best sub-$700 closed phones?
Mar 3, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can purchase the Ultrasone ALO-780 for $475 with the shipping included. (The ALO-780 are probably the best closed headphones in the world for under $500.)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ul...lo-mod-299731/

Audio Line Out

I would not recommend that anyone jump into a re-cabled headphone without trying it out w/ stock cable first, especially so if the cable mod isn't reversible (fortunately the cable mod on the AKG K271S for example is reversible). Cables don't make that much of a difference, especially on entry-level setups.

Also there are so many claims of "best" headphones (and blah blah blah) when the choice is ultimately subjective. There is no best. There are plenty of good values but there is no best. Even the most expensive closed headphones have their trade-offs (L3000 for example, which I would not say is the best closed headphone over all other closed headphones).

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D5000 without a doubt.

like ipodpj, i really like my d5000. though i am not that comfortable in recommending them to you. their sound signature is very good imo: clear mids and highs, prominent (bloated for some) bass. they are very comfortable, i sometimes forget that i have them on. i can listen for hours and not feel any fatigue, both physically and sonically. but this is a double-edge sword: their clamping strength on my head is not that great, affording comfort but loseness up to a point that it sometimes slips off or feels like its slipping off. i do have a small head and this might be a factor. i have to bend the headband a little bit to prevent them from slipping and have seal. thus, being in an environment such as you stated, planes and airports, etc, might not be an ideal place to have a headphone with not that much of a clamping force.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #21 of 28
- Darth Beyer
- Denon D5000
- Audio Technica W5000
- Stax 202 Classic
- Ultrasone HFI-780

Take your pick
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #22 of 28
Just a note on isolation... I have never understood they way people rate isolation here. I have never had a set of properly closed full sized cans that don't block out all outside noise with minimal volume. Also, from my experience, the inside of a plane is not a particularly loud environment outside of take off and landing.

If I had your budget, I would base the decision solely on SQ, not on isolation.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a note on isolation... I have never understood they way people rate isolation here. I have never had a set of properly closed full sized cans that don't block out all outside noise with minimal volume. Also, from my experience, the inside of a plane is not a particularly loud environment outside of take off and landing.

If I had your budget, I would base the decision solely on SQ, not on isolation.

Thanks...that's where my head is too on the isolation issue. I figure ANY closed can is going to give me good (who cares if it isn't "great"?) isolation.

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can purchase the Ultrasone ALO-780 for $475 with the shipping included. (The ALO-780 are probably the best closed headphones in the world for under $500.)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ul...lo-mod-299731/

Audio Line Out

The ALO website says $595 for the 780 Mods. Is that (the ALO site's price) the price with a more expensive cable or something? I like the $475 math more than the $595!

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by serviam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks...that's where my head is too on the isolation issue. I figure ANY closed can is going to give me good (who cares if it isn't "great"?) isolation.

I'm a frequent flyer and I've experienced my share of closed headphones, but HD280 is the minimum amount of isolation on a non-IEM I'd consider taking with me on a flight. The higher end closed headphones like D5000, W5000, DX1000 are NOT going to isolate enough to take on a noisy (yes, planes are noisy) trip.

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by serviam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ALO website says $595 for the 780 Mods. Is that (the ALO site's price) the price with a more expensive cable or something? I like the $475 math more than the $595!

The price is $475 with the shipping included if you choose the Vampire cable.

For $475 it's a great bargain
wink.gif

Cheers

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #28 of 28
I wouldn't W5000 or similar phones that are closed but don't isolate well on planes, engine noise and crying children ruin the mood (known from first hand experience).

I'd go with the more portable ones that isolate better, possibly HD-25 or something similar, or IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back