Best sub-$700 closed phones?
Mar 3, 2008 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

serviam

New Head-Fier
I've determined that IEMs ain't for me but I DO need sound isolation as I do some of my listening in airplanes, airports, etc.. Trying to find best closed cans for under $700. Using mac/lossless source and on list for pico. Suggestions? (Portability not important...just good cans!)

Thanks

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 28
Seems to me you're in for something portable and easy to drive. The best portable choice for you would maybe be the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 ($299 on audiocubes) and a portable amp. I'm not very knowledged within the portable-amp field, but an $200 amp should provide the phones with PLENTY of juice! If portable isn't very important to you (in the meanings of being small and compact) then you could concider the Denon AH-D2000's ($299) + an amp. Or, if serious noise cancelling is preferred, I'd go for either a drummers edition of the DT770 or the DT 150.

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 28
Thanks for reply. You raised a good clarifying point. I've added comment to original post indicating that portability isn't really important. In addition, I've decided to steer away from active noise canceling.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikuji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered Beyerdynamic DT770/80 that should be in the mail.

If I had your -$700 budget I would buy Darth Beyers.

What genre of music do you listen to?

New to head-fi. have seen references to "darth beyers". maybe you could save me some legwork and send me a link. thanks. Listen to wide range. Probably most interested in performance of vocals with a few instruments.

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 28
Mar 3, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 28
Just so you know the AH-D5000's are available from Amazon.com for under $500. I ordered a pair
smily_headphones1.gif

They are viewed as excellent phones. I bought mine for balancing and the markl mod (do a search) that's supposed to put them up in the territory of the mythical Sony MDR-R10.

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikuji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered Beyerdynamic DT770/80 that should be in the mail.

If I had your -$700 budget I would buy Darth Beyers.

What genre of music do you listen to?

I own a Beyer DT770 Pro and I have to say, they aren't the best headphones to lug around.

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 28
not having heard them, darths seem like your best bet. Though others can comment on other headphile aftermarket closed headphones, i think i saw HD650s on their site.

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D5000 without a doubt.

We all know how enthusiastic you are about them, which actually is not a bad thing as they are fine phones, just please don't not go over.
My pick in that that price range would be W5000.

Just for the record, I used to own D2000, which is not that different from D5000, and to my taste I preferred Zu recabled AKG-K271S. But they were very close, so that boils down to individual preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back