Best Sub, $400?
Jun 13, 2010 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xhibit

New Head-Fier
Jun 13, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 12
I'm not familiar with that line of subwoofers although I haven't been in the market for a subwoofer for years.  Back when I was in the market for one, HSU Research was one of the best budget subwoofers you could by.   You can see their products online at: http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 12
Velodyne also makes some very good subwoofers.  I just found this open boxed special at http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=0VEIMMI that may make a nice computer setup subwoofer.  It's on sale for 199 from 549.00.  Audio Advisor has some other specials you may want to take a look at.

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 12
AV123 has their MFW 15 on sale for $400. It is a MONSTER of a sub. If you best bass possible, that is it.

Otherwise, the HSU is a very high quality sub imo. 

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 12
The AV123 MFW-15 sub is excellent. Designed by Mark Seaton. AV123 had some serious issues with the amps in the first run of subs...much screaming and yelling at AVS. Assuming they've got the probs worked out, hard to go wrong.

Another sub line to look at are the Elemental Desigbns units. A ton of good user reviews on AVS.Forum.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 12
This is probably the best sub available for around $400-  http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1MLDYNAMO

These original aluminum coned ones are getting difficult to find and well worth that price.  I replaced a velodyne with this sub in my Maggie speaker system and it's light years ahead of the old velo that I had. 

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 12
Any of these speakers are an overkill for computer speakers. They are designed for home theater use in a large room.  It's like getting a V8 Mustang for delivering pizzas: you could do it, and it would be fun, but it just isn't a good fit.

The MW-15, as someone else has already mentioned is a MONSTROUS subwoofer. Most people do not pack something this serious in their "home theater", let alone computer speakers. It will shake your desk, rattle your air vents, and make your pant legs flap. This class of subwoofers delivers a level of infrasonic performance that brings tactile sensation to a movie watching experience.  Normally, you have to spend $800 to $1k for a subwoofer of this class, but MW-15 was designed to be a high value subwoofer to begin with and, well, the owner of AV123 was indicted on charity fraud and the shop is close to folding. These remaining MW-15s are likely returns from the first batch that suffered from premature amp failures: their amps were probably replaced with updated amp designs that corrected the issue.  I recommend the MW-15 to anyone looking for a serious subwoofer because the current price is just unbelievably low.  Down side is that the company is not likely to be around much longer and the wife-acceptance-factor isn't that great given the size of this thing. Maybe you can disguize it as an end table or something.

HSU is nice, but as of late they've been running off in a head-scratching direction with their subwoofer designs. And none of their lower priced selections are anything special compared to internet-direct offerings.

Everything else: Velodyne, Polk, REL, etc, are great for people who are loyal to those brands but they offer very little in terms of performance against the likes of SVS, HSU, Epik, and ED.

Jack

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

The MW-15, as someone else has already mentioned is a MONSTROUS subwoofer. Most people do not pack something this serious in their "home theater", let alone computer speakers. It will shake your desk, rattle your air vents, and make your pant legs flap. This class of subwoofers delivers a level of infrasonic performance that brings tactile sensation to a movie watching experience.  Normally, you have to spend $800 to $1k for a subwoofer of this class, but MW-15 was designed to be a high value subwoofer to begin with and, well, the owner of AV123 was indicted on charity fraud and the shop is close to folding. These remaining MW-15s are likely returns from the first batch that suffered from premature amp failures: their amps were probably replaced with updated amp designs that corrected the issue.  I recommend the MW-15 to anyone looking for a serious subwoofer because the current price is just unbelievably low.  Down side is that the company is not likely to be around much longer and the wife-acceptance-factor isn't that great given the size of this thing. Maybe you can disguize it as an end table or something.

It is easy enough to turn things down. Once you've experienced truly good low end...even with a computer system setup, it is hard to turn back. You think headphones are a sickness? Try big LFE!  These days in the realm of subs, the MFW 15 is middle of the road. With some of the uber subs out there now like the big Danleys, the Seaton Terraforms and the JTR Orbit Shifter, the MFW-15 looks like a mini sub. I use three of the Terraforms in my theater with Danley Sound Labs active triamp mains and surrounds. All of them are capable of output and extension which is WAY beyond the MFW-15. All are...of course...significantly more dear and much MUCH larger.

That being said, I've been away from audio for a while so I wasn't aware Mark S. (AV 123 founder) got indicted. I had a number of dealings with Mark over the years and he was a good guy at heart...but often got in over his head. I knew he had heart and health problems. That being said, for $399 you won't find a woofer that will touch the MFW. If the amp goes bad, you are still so far ahead, it isn't funny. Amp goes poof,  just buy an offboard amp. Pop out the plate amp, drill in some speaker terminals and hook the woofer direct to the terminals, put the plate back in, then hook up a pro amp.  Heck, I sent them an e-mail to see if I can buy a bunch of the woofers and cabs...sans amps. I have plenty of big pro amps sitting around I can use on them. I'd also think about buying a replacement woofer to have around. 

Hsu...I was a dealer for them for a while (yes, they did have a dealer program). Dr. Hsu is a character and a consumate showman.  It is always fun as heck to sit thru a demo with him. Their supply side is often sketchy and the cosmetics...hmmm.

Elemental Designs...tried a few of their woofs for a few clients of mine who needed good cheap subs. Pretty impressive considering the price. Good guys to work with. They recently prettified their subs with some much nicer finishes. Built here in the U.S. I'd buy one with confidence. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back