Best sub-$300 headphones for classical?
Nov 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Emongaa

New Head-Fier
Hi head-fi,

As the title states I'm looking for the best sub-$300 headphones for classical. I'm currently using a pair of m50's but I find that they're better for my dubstep and studio recording. As an example of the music I listen right now I'm listening to the album Light & Gold by Eric Whitacre (in FLAC of course). Peace.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: "... and SATB/choral music."

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 12
Heya,

Open-air or closed-back?
What's your source equipment that you're plugging them into?

Very best,

I plan to use these at home so I guess open. As for source equipment I'm not using a dac or amp I just plugging my current set into my macbook, though I was looking at getting an E11

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 12
Heya,

I definitely suggest you consider getting an entry level USB DAC/AMP, like a Fiio E10. Maybe try and work something like that into the budget.

Otherwise, some headphones that are efficient enough to at least work in the mean time straight from your laptop:

Sony MA900
Sennheiser HD598
Hifiman HE-300 rev 2
AudioTechnica AD900X
AKG K240 MK II
Beyer DT880 Premium 32ohm

Very best,

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 12
The only amp around 50 that I can recommend is the Cmoy made by JDS labs. The 18V (two batteries) version powers the Q701 decently, but the batteries don't last that long. You can also plug an AC adapter into this amp.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #10 of 12
  Thanks, will look into them. Unrelated but how/when can I change my profile page to have information on it?

In the upper right hand side of the screen , it shows your user name "Emongaa", just to the right of the "Private Messages" & "Subscriptions".
Click on "Emongaa", that will take you to your profile page.
On your profile page, where it says "Edit Community Profile" click on that.
It will take you to a page were you can input and list your details and hardware.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 12
  Hi head-fi,

As the title states I'm looking for the best sub-$300 headphones for classical. I'm currently using a pair of m50's but I find that they're better for my dubstep and studio recording. As an example of the music I listen right now I'm listening to the album Light & Gold by Eric Whitacre (in FLAC of course). Peace.
smily_headphones1.gif

For a good value.
Get the Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Amplifier, $75
Check out the AKG K612 Pro headphones, $160
I do not own the K612 Pros, but so far they seem like good music headphones, for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back