Best sub $300-$400 speakers for sound that is NOT dry/bright/overly analytical.
Jan 13, 2012 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

moonsetflies

Head-Fier
Looking for a pair of speakers for listening in a medium sized room that are not too dry/bright/analytical. I had a Denon D700 for a while with the stock speakers and I really liked the sound signature, but it was just to slow so there was a lot of blurring. I am looking for a 2 channel set-up that sounds musical, and is fast, detailed, rich, full, smooth, maybe slightly on the warm side, with good imaging. (Will likely eventually add a subwoofer) What (pair) can I get for less than $300-$400 new or used that might fit the bill for now? Thanks very much!

I mostly listen to singer-songwriter, acoustic alternative rock, classical, folk-rock, vocal jazz, etc. mostly female vocals, e.g. Norah Jones.
I also listen to lots of punk rock and a large amount of trip-hop/downbeat electronica. Don't care too much how the punk sounds, just as long as it's loud and obnoxious :), so my main concern is with acoustic instruments.

Looking forward to your response. Thanks again!

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 18
The audioengine A5's are pretty good for.a set of powered speakers, and they put out a surprising amount of bass for such small speakers.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 18
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_760IMGB4B/PSB-Image-B4-Black-Ash.html?tp=186&avf=N&nvpair=FFBrand|PSB
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_760IMGB5B/PSB-Image-B5-Black-Ash.html?tp=186&avf=N&nvpair=FFBrand|PSB

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRBBX1

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 18
After my recent audio adventure i am a new convert for big sound floor standers and half decent ones would be awesome for music and even HT even w/o a sub hehe

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 18
I like floorstanders too the only good one you can get with $400 new though are these 3A825 will get you $20 off.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P362BG/Infinity-Primus-P362.html?tp=185&avf=N&nvpair=FFBrand|Infinity

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 18

[size=13.0pt]I like the idea of a powered speaker to save space and also then I would not have to worry about finding a decent amp. On the other hand, I hate the idea that the amp is built into the speakers and that I will never be able to change it if I decide to upgrade unless I ditch the whole setup and start fresh. Then again, if the amp is transparent, and I really like the sound of the speaker, maybe that is all I will ever need, especially considering they were made to go together. What is your opinion on this matter?[/size]

[size=13.0pt] I tried the infinity series (passive) speakers with various methods of amping, and I am just not to crazy about their sound, and towers are a bit too big for my space currently anyhow. PSB B4, B5 might fit the bill. I have never heard them, but I know they have a good reputation. They might have the sound I am looking for you think?[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Still on the fence about powered vs. passive. For passive, it seems like the most economical route would be to get a decent home theater receiver because anything built for 2 channels or 2.1 is so expensive in comparison for what you get because it has dropped tremendously in consumer demand. What do you think?[/size]

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 18
Musical, fast, rich and smooth with a bit of warmth... This is the exact sound signature of Swans Speakers. Check out the M200 MKIII or T200B

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 18
FYI, you couldn't find Focus 110 for under 500 bucks....commonly are sold used on AudioGon for well over 800.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 18
I'd go for some Wharfedale 10.1 or 10.2...on sale at MusicDirect for around 300 and 400.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Musical, fast, rich and smooth with a bit of warmth... This is the exact sound signature of Swans Speakers. Check out the M200 MKIII or T200B

Well, if thats the case about the Swans, I might be in luck. I found a pair of Swans M1S on craigslist a few hours from where I live for $400/pair. What do you think about that? :)

Quote:
FYI, you couldn't find Focus 110 for under 500 bucks....commonly are sold used on AudioGon for well over 800.

Yeah, little out of the range I am hoping for, hehe. Thanks though. Will take a look at the wharf dale's you suggested.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 18
wow M1s for 400. Thats quite a deal. M1 customs usually retails over 1K but there are variations like M1S and M1B so i dont know how much difference it is from M1. But the M1 series are top of line swans speakers. If you could get your hands on the M1 series then don't think and go for it. I was referring to the mid level series like M200 MKIII and T200B.

Quote:
Well, if thats the case about the Swans, I might be in luck. I found a pair of Swans M1S on craigslist a few hours from where I live for $400/pair. What do you think about that? :)

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 18
Triangle speakers are pretty awesome - very musical...definitely not bright or overly analytical - just fun and organic sounding.  Keep your eyes open on AudioGon.com for good used deals.  For example:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/1663

These Triangel Titus are pretty sweet, you could probably get them for 300.  

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Triangle speakers are pretty awesome - very musical...definitely not bright or overly analytical - just fun and organic sounding.  Keep your eyes open on AudioGon.com for good used deals.  For example:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/1663

These Triangel Titus are pretty sweet, you could probably get them for 300.  

That looks pretty sweet! How do the Swans M1S and Triangle Titus ES differ? I know thats a pretty specific question and you have to be pretty lucky to have heard both, but any knowledge in that area is helpful considering they are both around the same price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back