Best Sub $250 Card for DT880's?
Jan 24, 2005 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Moos3d

New Head-Fier
Well, I'm currently working on a little personal wishlist of things I need to buy in the future when I have the money and I'm currently working on setting up a very good or I guess what I would like to think is the best sub-1000 dollar system for myself. I've decided on the DT880's because the only bad thing I've heard about them is the cord length and I really like the look they have. So I am looking for a sound card to go with these headphones. It also needs to be able to work with my Sennheiser PC 130 (http://www.sennheisercommunications.com/pr-pc130.html) for when I'm gaming so I can use the mic. I'm also looking for a good amp to go with the sound card and the phones but all the different connectors are really wreaking havoc on my brain.

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 9
The EMU 0404 or 1212m are both heavily reccomended around here and for good reason (hint: they sound good). The 0404 is a more aggressive and punchy sounding card which would make it good if you listen to music like rock. The 1212m is more refined but some describe the sound as boring. It would probably be better if you listened to classical or jazz. As for connecting them some RadioShack 1/4" Mono -> RCA adapters would let you use regular RCA cables with them, or you could buy special cables that terminate to 1/4" mono plugs on one end and RCA plugs on the other (places like RadioShack and most professional audio stores should carry these).

Also, I highly suspect that you'll find your DT880's are better gaming headphones than your PC130's, and if that's the case then you should sell them and get a separate microphone.

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 9
These will probably be used for gaming most, then watching DVDs and then listening to mainly ska/rock and other music of that type and various other random songs I just like. Really the most important factor for me is being able to hear distinctions of where the sound is coming from so sound from behind sounds like it is behind me and sound to the left sounds like the left, etc... Also I should probably say I don't actually have the DT880's yet but I plan to buy them after I get the new hard drive I need.

Jan 24, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moos3d
Well I listen to very little music. I mainly need it for gaming and DVDs.

so will you be watching your DVD's using a 5.1 Speaker system? unless you're doing that, i doubt you'll find a difference using the emu and audigy cards, as you'll be using only 2 channel no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back