Best Sub-$200 Dorm Set-Up
Aug 20, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #16 of 32
First of all, thanks to everyone for all their help. From the responses I've gotten, it seems like the Athenas, Swans, and Klipsches are the best sounding speakers for the price. However, for my needs, it seems like the Klipsches come the closest. However, they seem a bit heavy (20 lbs) and I was wondering if anything lighter could compare. Does anyone know about the Creative I-Trigue L3450's? How about the HK Soundsticks II I mentioned?

Also, on another note, if I one day decide to switch to a 5.1 setup, could I use the speakers and/or sub from a 2.1 system? Thanks again for all your help.

Aug 20, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #17 of 32
I had the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 and have both the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and the Swans M200s. If your primary music listening is rock I'd say go with the Klipsch b/c they will have the bass to keep up with such music. If you want a speaker that is more suited to jazz and is IMO, a much more lush and music oriented speaker, go with the Swans. Swans with a sub down the road would be my choice. Superior build quality and sound that belies its sub $200 price. They are a bit big, but unless you plan on using them for portable use, I don't see their size being an issue.

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0nkeybl1tz
However, they seem a bit heavy (20 lbs) and I was wondering if anything lighter could compare.

Are you kidding ! Your not going to get those just becasue they are 20 lbs. Man thats not heavy at all man. And who cares how heavy they are, what does it matter. Their jsut going to sit on the desk the whole time, unless you want to toss around your speakers. Id say think that one over...

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #19 of 32
If 5.1 systems are not out of question, may I suggest this configuration of AEGO instead, and this one available in the US:

aego5

avrgpc.jpg

All for USD$299, and try tossing those HEAVY satellites around
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #20 of 32
Well, here's why 20 lbs is heavy, and why I'm not getting a 5.1. I'm at college right now, and possibly transferring next semester. So, a) I won't have much room and b) I'll be moving at least once a year, this year perhaps twice. So it'll be nice to have a lighter system to move. But are the Klipsch better enough to warrant the extra weight? Also, could a 2.1 or 2.0 system be converted to a 5.1 later? Thanks for all the help.

Aug 21, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #21 of 32
Dude, you move once or twice a year. Are a few pounds really going to break your back?

The reason why it weighs more is because it uses more potent drivers and the sub is meatier than others.

So... the question is: Do you want quality or crap?

Aug 21, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #22 of 32
If I got the Klipsch 2.0, could I later hook them up to a subwoofer later? Or, if I get something with a subwoofer, could I hook additional sattelites up to it later? Once again, thanks for all the help.

Aug 21, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Also, could a 2.1 or 2.0 system be converted to a 5.1 later?

Not usually. Unless something of an upgrade has already
been taken into account in the design. This was an option
for aego2, but the upgrading package (aego3)
is no longer available for sale.

Or, if presently by a "system" you mean a pair of passive speakers
without a devoted sub, then of course you can later hook them to
a five-(or more) channel amplifier as part of a 5.1 system.

Aug 21, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

If I got the Klipsch 2.0, could I later hook them up to a subwoofer later? Or, if I get something with a subwoofer, could I hook additional sattelites up to it later?

The answers are yes (if the Klipsch 2.0 are not powered speakers--but you will need an amp in any case) and no, not usually, if the amp is built in within the subwoofer (again there are exceptions, such as my aego2, mentioned above).

Aug 23, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #25 of 32
You should take a look at the logitech THX series of speakers. I got the Z-5300 THX speakers when I was in 2nd year at residence. They're great, and they cost me about $200 CAD shipped, so I didn't even have to walk 1km to pick them up (it was a large box). The satellites are pretty small, and the sub, while large, isnt all that heavy or hard to manage while still putting out 100W RMS. The 4 satellites each put out about 36W RMS, while the center puts out 50W RMS.

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #26 of 32
I definitely recommend going with a pair of decent bookshelf speakers and a vintage amplifer. I had a pair of Paradigm Titans and used my dad's old Yamaha amp, and they were absolutely perfect.

Another consideration, if you choose to go the vintage amp/bookshelf speakers route is that it is not a dead end upgrade path. Whenever you want, you can buy a real subwoofer and add it to the system, and then all you need is two fronts and a center channel and you have a complete 5.1 system.

Aug 24, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin143
Whenever you want, you can buy a real subwoofer and add it to the system, and then all you need is two fronts and a center channel and you have a complete 5.1 system.

AND the vintage amplifier will have to be replaced as well, unless it
was originally designed to have multi-channel capability
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Well, here's why 20 lbs is heavy, and why I'm not getting a 5.1. I'm at college right now, and possibly transferring next semester. So, a) I won't have much room and b) I'll be moving at least once a year, this year perhaps twice. So it'll be nice to have a lighter system to move. But are the Klipsch better enough to warrant the extra weight? Also, could a 2.1 or 2.0 system be converted to a 5.1 later? Thanks for all the help.

HA, HAHA, HAHAHA, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

dude you have no idea. I trucked my whole setup up 3 stories dude, that whole setup probably weighs less than my desktop does (50 pounds) so yeah, that's not much haha.

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #29 of 32
There is a guy selling his Midiland S2-4100 for $100 in the FS forums. I got mine way back for $300ish and never looked back. They sound much more musical, balanced and smooth compared to anything klipsch (or their "multimedia line" to be exact) has to offer. Although Swans seem to have a terrific rep, at $100, S2-4100 is an absolute bargain. Ultimately, T-amp + Bookshelf setup would beat it, but not at $100 IMO. I am so tempted to recommend it to my friends, but none of them need good speakers atm. You are in luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #30 of 32
Say I was to get a bookshelf set-up, what would it entail, i.e. what would I have to plug into what? Also, how big are they (shelf space is at a semi-premium)? And finally, what brand would you reccomend? Thanks for all the help.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back