Best Sub 200 Dollar DAP
Jan 6, 2019 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

floydfanx6

Head-Fier
Hey folks looking to get a dap for on the go listening with my IEH. The most imprortant factor is sound quality and Equalizer. I wouldn love for it to have line out and usb out for possible external amp/dacs but not a must.I listen to a lot of Modern rock, rock fused with pop and electronic.
I’m looking for a balanced sound, with deep bass that reaches low and full body. Mids that are very clear. Highs that reach Nicely with some sparkle in them.
I’ve been researching a lot and been considering these:
Zishan-DSD
Hifiman -Supermini, Megamini
(Both have no Equalizer )
Fiio -x3 2nd Gen
Fiio -x2
Shanling -M2S, M3S
Sony- NW A45 Walkman
Cayin N3
I’m willing to buy New or used DAPs, ideally I will spend 100-150. If it’s
really worth it I can go to 200.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 17
Hey folks looking to get a dap for on the go listening with my IEH. The most imprortant factor is sound quality and Equalizer. I wouldn love for it to have line out and usb out for possible external amp/dacs but not a must.I listen to a lot of Modern rock, rock fused with pop and electronic.
I’m looking for a balanced sound, with deep bass that reaches low and full body. Mids that are very clear. Highs that reach Nicely with some sparkle in them.
I’ve been researching a lot and been considering these:
Zishan-DSD
Hifiman -Supermini, Megamini
(Both have no Equalizer )
Fiio -x3 2nd Gen
Fiio -x2
Shanling -M2S, M3S
Sony- NW A45 Walkman
Cayin N3
I’m willing to buy New or used DAPs, ideally I will spend 100-150. If it’s
really worth it I can go to 200.

i would like go with the sony, i like the walkman series and i think the display screen on the a45 looks great as well

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 17
How would you describe the sound signature in general on the sony and low/mid highs. Thank you again. Screen doesn’t mean much to me to be honest.

Sorry I do not own the AW45, but based on my previous experience with a model in the walkman series- the NWZA17SLV, I didn't hesitate to recommend the AW45 to you. The NWZA17SLV I owned before was good for me because it was lightweight, portable and had expandable memory. It could also play flac files and sounded great with most genres I listened to. The negative thing about it however was the screen was too small for me, which Sony now seems to have improved with the newer AW45 model

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 17
Hiby R3 is a nice little dap with 10 band eq and has 2.5mm balanced also with a balanced cable runs the HD-6xx’s very nicely.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #15 of 17
If it were me I would only buy something that has no output capacitors, after removing mine in my DAP the sound quality is no comparison better. Doing this puts DC on the outputs to the headphones, so an amp with a DC blocking input capacitor must be used at all times. It's more convenient to have the dap designed to be without them, and have some other way of removing DC, probably. Look for frequency response graphs of the player output that go to 0 Hz. I've been out of the market for a while, so I'm not familiar with the current models.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back