Best sub $1k DAC for HD800's
Mar 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TooPoor

500+ Head-Fier
 Already asked in the Appreciation Thread, but figured I might get more answers here.

Looking for a great DAC that has to have USB. I'd prefer a DAC that is a bit on the warmer side. Nice, textured, punchy bass, etc. I listen to everything so it should be a good all arounder.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 14
 Already asked in the Appreciation Thread, but figured I might get more answers here.

Looking for a great DAC that has to have USB. I'd prefer a DAC that is a bit on the warmer side. Nice, textured, punchy bass, etc. I listen to everything so it should be a good all arounder.
Audio-GD SA-1.32 ($909+$57 S&H)will beat the pants off anything sub $1k and well above.:eek:

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 14
I believe there is a return period, but you would have to ask kingwa about it. That DAC makes me drool lol.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 14
The Matrix X-Sabre is my ideal DAC. Less bright than the Gungnir but more detailed at the same time. Used it with HD800 and BHA-1/GS-X mk2/LG/S7 and it did very well with all of those setups. It is over $1k but only just, at $1099 and releases to public in 2-3 weeks.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 14
The Matrix X-Sabre is my ideal DAC. Less bright than the Gungnir but more detailed at the same time. Used it with HD800 and BHA-1/GS-X mk2/LG/S7 and it did very well with all of those setups. It is over $1k but only just, at $1099 and releases to public in 2-3 weeks.
Yeah I have the Yulong D18 Sabre DAC for $700 and it has the exact same characteristics you describe, but it doesnt have DSD support. Not a big deal for me yet as the DSD choosing is exceptionally small and largely consists of classical which isnt my primary genre.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 14
This would get my vote as well. In fact I'd highly recommend any AGD dac with the 1704 chips. Very realistic tonality to them that many other dacs consistently fail at. R2R at it's best imo.

-Daniel
Amen to that, so many people strive for "neutrality" and when they reach it they finally realize its the tonality thats missing. This cuts right through all that headache and waste of time. This has both.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 14
I will have to try an AGD product at some point. I'm very much turned off by their 'more parts in the box = better sound' mentality they seem to employ.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 14
I will have to try an AGD product at some point. I'm very much turned off by their 'more parts in the box = better sound' mentality they seem to employ.
Yeah alot of their gear is pretty much run of the mill sound, but at a very good price. However, Kingwa's DACs with the 1704 chips are something special.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 14
Amen to that, so many people strive for "neutrality" and when they reach it they finally realize its the tonality thats missing. This cuts right through all that headache and waste of time. This has both.

Agreed-tonality/timber pretty much trumps all in my book, assuming of course there are no other glaring weaknesses. Maxvla, I'd suspect the sound and design go hand in hand with Kingwa's design, where much of the sound is attributed to his impressive power supplies and analog stages. Hopefully you can get to hear one soon-Prep's Master 7 perhaps?

-Daniel

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Agreed-tonality/timber pretty much trumps all in my book, assuming of course there are no other glaring weaknesses. Maxvla, I'd suspect the sound and design go hand in hand with Kingwa's design, where much of the sound is attributed to his impressive power supplies and analog stages. Hopefully you can get to hear one soon-Prep's Master 7 perhaps?

-Daniel

This is why I'm very interested in trying one out.

Master 7 on the way
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back