Best Sub 100$ Dac/Amp
Jul 17, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 27
I have a question about a pairing that I'm interested in, how would the fiio A3 pair with either AKG k420 or Grado SR80e? Or is there another suitable portable choice for around the same cost?

Both headphones are 32 ohm impedance with quite high sensitivity, so you can pretty much run them even with just a smartphone. If you're asking if the sound-sig of the amp will suit them, that's up to preference. The A3 is a very good amp, as reviewed by Brooko

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 27
I read that the A3 has a hiss in its background. Is there something in this range that is silent? Or is that something that's attainable as I go up in price?

With what headphones? Hiss sometimes affects some portable amps when used with 16 ohm (or less) very high sensitivity IEMs. I would be surprised if it's a problem for your headphones, but I don't know. I have only tried that headphone amp with DT770, and it worked great (don't remember any hiss).

You can could try reading around in the E11K/A3 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...er-info-news-thread-early-impressions.727341/.

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #20 of 27
With what headphones? Hiss sometimes affects some portable amps when used with 16 ohm (or less) very high sensitivity IEMs. I would be surprised if it's a problem for your headphones, but I don't know. I have only tried that headphone amp with DT770, and it worked great (don't remember any hiss).

You can could try reading around in the E11K/A3 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...er-info-news-thread-early-impressions.727341/.
i cant find the review now, but from what i remember i think iems were used. Im using fidue a73s and get some hiss, using on my cowon pd and laptop.

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #21 of 27
All right. You'll have to come back and let us know how it sounds :)
Don't know if you remember.
So I tried the sabaj da2.
Unfortunately, the sound was bad - really bad.
It's like playing EQ and gain up the DB to get much higher sound - what's make sound distortion and not balanced sound.
I speak with the team through amazon - they tell me that they will upgrade the firmware - because it doesn't need to happen - and for now I will get a full refund plus shipping costs for return the device back.
Really bummer - what bummer than that - is that I lost my in-ear (ma750).
So I'm looking for new in-ear set - today it is much different from 3 years ago.
You got today a-lot of a nice option with mmcx cable - so durability isn't much a problem like it was back then.
Still didn't decided between:
Ibasso it01
Massdrop Mee Planamic
V-sonic Gr07 detachable
TFZ KING II

About new dac,amp the shanling m0 - look promising - can replace my sansa clip plus :kissing:

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #22 of 27
I got this last week or so, the Weiliang/Breeze Audio SE4 USB DAC, ES9028Q2M chip with SA9226 usb controller, supports DSD (there's a cheaper version with PCM2706, which doesn't support DSD). Constantly connected to my PC now, its definitely quite good (what's noticeable is the improved soundstage and imaging compared to my onboard sound). Needs a driver for Win7, other than that its quite straightforward like other USB DAC solutions.

I'll report back if I encounter any issues later on, but so far happy with my purchase.

taobao link (you can use a forwarder or agent to purchase, or find the listing on ebay/aliexpress for about $45)
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-15493940501.70.763e1cfaRvjmOk&id=568408593852
gl67UeK.jpg

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #23 of 27
I got this last week or so, the Weiliang/Breeze Audio SE4 USB DAC, ES9028Q2M chip with SA9226 usb controller, supports DSD (there's a cheaper version with PCM2706, which doesn't support DSD). Constantly connected to my PC now, its definitely quite good (what's noticeable is the improved soundstage and imaging compared to my onboard sound). Needs a driver for Win7, other than that its quite straightforward like other USB DAC solutions.

I'll report back if I encounter any issues later on, but so far happy with my purchase.

taobao link (you can use a forwarder or agent to purchase, or find the listing on ebay/aliexpress for about $45)
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-15493940501.70.763e1cfaRvjmOk&id=568408593852
gl67UeK.jpg
Interesting, how do you order them from Taobao from an agent?
What their impedance level?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #24 of 27
Interesting, how do you order them from Taobao from an agent?
What their impedance level?

you can google any taobao agent that's available for your country. You can also direct order but it might be difficult if you don't know chinese.

No idea on the impedance level, no equipment to really test it properly. Bought it because it was cheap enough and most products from the company had good reviews from buyers.

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #25 of 27
you can google any taobao agent that's available for your country. You can also direct order but it might be difficult if you don't know chinese.

No idea on the impedance level, no equipment to really test it properly. Bought it because it was cheap enough and most products from the company had good reviews from buyers.
I understand that warranty aren't included...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back